'A Christmas Carol - 3D (2009)' (4-Disc Combo Pack) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 AM

Default 'A Christmas Carol - 3D (2009)' (4-Disc Combo Pack) - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'A Christmas Carol - 3D (2009)' (4-Disc Combo Pack) has just been posted. Go read the review for all the details. This is a must own!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3491...ol_2009_4.html
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 AM

Excellent review for what was an excellent movie. For once, I agree with you guys. :-)

I think this adaptation is the best one ever because it is the closest to the book thanks to it being in CGI. Yeah, there are a few scenes that are 3D gimmicks, such as the Ghost of Xmas Future chase scene, but the movie really followed the book's designs to a t. I'm definitely picking up the version with the 3D one in it.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:37 AM

I really have no interest in seeing this flick. I'm fine with the Alistair Sims, George C. Scott, Bill Murray, and Muppet versions.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:39 AM

I caught about 10 minutes of this in HD on the TV... I couldn't watch any more. It was almost painful to watch. When a CG world is trying so hard to look realistic, it stands out terribly with the lack of detail(I don't mean the quality of the effects) in terms of general things, like miscellaneous objects in a room, or street. It just felt wrong. I also caught it at some dubious 'sliding down the ice' scene, which smacked so badly of "Ooooh, won't this look amazing in 3D!" Like a lot of those dreadful train bits in Polar Express.

As twonunpackmule said, give me those versions... they're enough. This just felt like a hollow, soulless experiment in CGI. (And I LOVE special effects! But this just had no heart whatsoever)
Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 AM

Looking for a nice deal and I will try a blind buy if I find it. No 3D display here but the coupon only works for the combo with 3D so that is likely what I am going to buy. I have enjoyed previous versions including the Mr. Magoo version that was on TV so often but it is a timeless story and I expect to like this new version.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
I really have no interest in seeing this flick. I'm fine with the Alistair Sims, George C. Scott, Bill Murray, and Muppet versions.
But those are not accurate to the book. They turned the Ghost of Xmas Past into an angel. Plus, the Ghost of Xmas Present is supposed to get old and die, but you never see that happen either in any of those versions.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Which 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray player did Steve Seebacher use for his review? His gear is not listed on the same page as the other editors.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:21 AM

I blind bought this. Should be here today. The wife gave me permission to get a 3D TV. That is a few weeks away, but I wanted at least one 3D movie ready to go when it happens.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
But those are not accurate to the book. They turned the Ghost of Xmas Past into an angel. Plus, the Ghost of Xmas Present is supposed to get old and die, but you never see that happen either in any of those versions.
It happens in the Muppet version. And, Ghost of Christmas Past isn't an angel in the Muppet Version either. Instead, it's an odd spirit.

The Ghost of Christmas Past is anything but an angel in Scrooged. It's a New York Taxi Driver.

The George C. Scott one also doesn't feature an angel. Hell, Scott tries to snuff her out.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM

Uh...

Did I miss something, or did the reviewer only review the 3D Bluray's picture quality?

Since, you know, hardly anyone has a 3D set, and since a lot of people don't want a 3D set, can we get a review of the regular Bluray's Picture Quality??????