High-Def Digest Holiday Gift Guide 2010: Best Action Blu-rays of the Year - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Default High-Def Digest Holiday Gift Guide 2010: Best Action Blu-rays of the Year

High-Def Digest Holiday Gift Guide 2010: Best Action Blu-rays of the Year:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._the_Year/5806
Old 11-15-2010, 06:23 PM

Strong list, and glad to see A-Team in there. If the domestic release is anything like the Hong Kong version, fans should be happy.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 PM

Can't wait for Salt.
The story doesnt unfold as elegantly as the jason bourne movies, but overall I found the movie much more enjoyable for all the over the top ness, non stop action.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:06 PM

Wait a minute: the top-ten list of BLU-RAY action movies of the year .....and 5 of them have not even been released on BLU-RAY yet?

Why not release the top ten list of Blu-ray action movies for 2011 now, and pick some films that you think will be good?

Regardless of how much you may have liked the movies in the theater, there's no way of knowing yet that these are going to be well-produced, demo-worthy Blu-ray's. Likely, perhaps, but still premature.

(And, sorry, but especially the Expendables and Salt: not movies that fantastic that we should be 'jumping the gun' to list them here. BTW, where's Iron Man 2?)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Not a bad list, but also pretty bottom-heavy (7 of 10 are Q4 releases and 5 aren't even out yet). A few other titles for consideration:

Alien Anthology (specifically Aliens)
Centurion
Escape From New York
Grindhouse
Human Target
Ip Man
Last Action Hero
Machete
Mad Max
Minority Report
Ninja Assassin
The Pacific
Saving Private Ryan
Sherlock Holmes
Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Last edited by doctorthodt; 11-15-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:04 PM

Kind of a shakey list. Some serious absences on this best of list:

Iron Man 2
How To Train Your Dragon
Avatar Theatrical/Special Editions
Minority Report
Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Unfortunately Aaron you took on a writing task that in all accounts could not even be properly completed.
This is a terrible year for action movies and since this list...according to how I understand it...consists of
movies that were made this year and already released (or very soon to be) on BD, you've limited yourself
which required you to fill empty places on the list with crap.

You can't recommend a holiday gift list that includes 5 pieces of total shit. I mean real BAD movies and not like "on the fence" kind....I'm talking total shit! You have 2 that are just OK and should have or could have been better and 1 that was pretty good and had some great moments. That leaves us with 2 winners and they were outstanding but I don't know how the BD will turn out. One just came out last week and the other is not out yet.

Now you may have like these films but at 18.99 to 24.99 most of anyone reading this list will definitely not!! No matter how crystal clear the video is or how awesome the 7.1 will rock their houses
foundations.....this list SUCKS. I would say streamline it down to a "Three Top Notch Action Films of the Year.......so far" list. Happy Holidays
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackary bass View Post
You can't recommend a holiday gift list that includes 5 pieces of total shit.
I like how you said that as if it's an objective truth. Taste is subjective, and he can actually kind of do whatever he wants. Do I agree with a lot of the titles on there? No, but that's not an excuse to be a dick about it.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Banned

The Losers and The Expendables have no place on that list, as they're utter shit imho as well.
I haven't seen predators, knight and day or scott pilgrim, so I can't comment on those. The others are well deserving of their place imho.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Former Member

i haven't seen most of those films, so i can't comment. like aaron, i felt the losers was kinda meh-ish, and it lost me pretty fast.

i was just laughing my ass off seeing my own name in the article, and what was said was the absolute truth, so big ups to aaron from the natester.

anyone saying the Alien films belong, they aren't action films/shows/anything. they're true sci-fi horrors. i'm bloody sorry, but that's that.