'Grown Ups' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Default 'Grown Ups' - High-Def Digest Review

Believe it or not, there was once a time when Adam Sandler actually wrote, produced, and starred in fresh, funny movies. Now he just churns out garbage like 'Grown Ups.' Tom says this is one hell of a bad movie. This disc pees in the Blu-ray swimming pool, with weak video, better audio, and some lame extras. One to avoid.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3940...ps_single.html
Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Believe it or not, there was once a time when Adam Sandler actually wrote, produced, and starred in fresh, funny movies.
There was? 'Happy Gilmore' was ok, I guess- that's about it. Sandler was great on SNL, but his movies have never cut it, IMO.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 PM

I have zero problem with the first two comedies he did...Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were glorious, stupid fun. Since then, forget it. I tried watching other "It's Adam Sandler! You like Adam Sandler, don't you??!" stuff like Big Daddy & Zohan and could never make it past the 45 minute mark, at my most tolerant.

For some reason I saw this in the theater...maybe because I saw Funny People and thought it was ok, so I was drawn back into his stuff a bit. What a stinker. Definitely agree with the 1-star review.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:34 PM

Salma Hayek looks hot in this movie. I could watch her on mute all day. This movie was pretty cool and not all that bad IMO.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakersvh View Post
Salma Hayek looks hot in this movie. I could watch her on mute all day. This movie was pretty cool and not all that bad IMO.
She sure does. Not quite as sizzling as she is in Desperado, though.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM

1 star?! Wow I wouldn't go that far. I thought it was a funny movie, way better than zohan. If Chris Farley was alive today he would be in all the sandler movies instead of Kevin James. For some reason i'm really not a big fan of him.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 PM

"unfunny mess that somehow manages to sink its lowbrow just about as low as 'Little Nicky' -- if that's even humanly possible"

WTF!! I LOVE LITTLE NICKY!!

I liked Grown Ups... not the best Sandler movie but one star? More like 2 1/2 stars
Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM

They played some cool music in this movie too. I was surprised when they played "Goodnight Tonight"
by Paul McCartney and Wings.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 PM

I haven't read the review yet...but its best if I just say that comedy is VERY SUBJECTIVE! Its probably the most subjective genre in all of film. What is funny to one person, might not be funny to another person.

That being said, I REALLY enjoyed "Grown Ups." Its odd, because I'm starting to find that I don't find any of the critically acclaimed comedies (i.e. "The Hangover", "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Knocked Up" etc.) to be funny at all, yet I like most of the comedies that people trash (i.e. MacGruber, Grownups, Hot Rod, Balls of Fury etc.)

IMHO, this is the best comedy that Adam Sandler has done in AGES. It's much better than "Don't Mess With the Zohan", "Click", "Funny People", "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry," "50 First Dates", "Anger Management", "Mr. Deeds", "Little Nicky", and "The Waterboy."

Sure, there really isn't ANY PLOT at all in this movie. The characters don't undergo any sort of radical changes, there are no epiphanies about life to be found. In the long run though, "Grownups" made me laugh from beginning to end. It doesn't take the easy way out by giving you some crappy "feel good" message or anything like that. It sticks to its guns....its just a movie about friends razzing each other, 75% of the dialog can't possibly be scripted....and I had a lot of fun watching this shit fest. Since it made me laugh, its a good comedy. It did it's job. That is why the movie made 270 million dollars...it made people laugh.

IMHO, this movie is a cross between Billy Madison and The Great Outdoors. If you don't like either of those films, then stay away.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

I'm ok with most Adam Sandler movies, but this one was meh, I'd give it 2 stars. I agree that it was better than Zohan, Click, Mr. Deeds (worst Sandler film IMO) etc.