Why do people say Region B locked? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-13-2010, 03:05 AM

Default Why do people say Region B locked?

Is there a Region B unlocked?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhed View Post
It's just regional coding to prevent you from buying a disc from another part of the world, check Wikipedia link below for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

I think if we are talking about unlocking then it refers to software or hardware that has been modified to playback discs from all regions regardless of the fact they are region locked.

For example i have a multiregion Oppo Blu Ray Player, it's able to playback discs from anywhere in the world.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Banned

I think what he's saying is the phrase "region B locked" is redundant since "region B" already implies that it's locked.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM

I understand what is meant when it is indicated as a Region B or Region A locked title. A UK release that is only playable on Region B players is Region B locked whereas a UK release that is playable on all players would be Region B coded for all regions or Region B unlocked. There have been many reports of titles with a Region indication but are not locked to that specific region. That might not technically be what was intended by Region A, B, and C when it was set up, but it does have meaning now. A Region B release that is only available in Region B retail stores, meaning must be imported by other regions, whether locked or not is often called a Region B release.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avhed View Post
In a way, yes. Titles can be Region A,B or Region B,C. That could be considered "unlocked" depending on where you live but still not Region Free.

Mostly thought, I expect it's redundant on purpose. As a seller I want that statement to stand out to buyers who may or may not be ignorant. I purposefully want it to be a red flag so that it prompts people to look it up if they don't know what it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
A UK release that is only playable on Region B players is Region B locked whereas a UK release that is playable on all players would be Region B coded for all regions or Region B unlocked.
No. A disc can't be Region B and Region Free at the same time. It would be a Region Free disc manufactured in a country that is Region B. That's about as far as you can stretch it.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post
I think what he's saying is the phrase "region B locked" is redundant since "region B" already implies that it's locked.
For most people 'region b' would simply imply that its from region b. Not that its locked there.
Its like a sign saying 'Pedestrians' instead of 'Pedestrians only.'
Old 11-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elee s View Post
For most people 'region b' would simply imply that its from region b. Not that its locked there.
No, I don't think that's true at all, at least not on forums such as this where everyone is familiar with these terms. If a specific Blu-Ray disc is referred to as "region B," I guarantee you that most people here would interpret that as meaning it's locked to region B, not that it's simply from a region B territory.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Former Member

it's just the terminology some of us use.

to me, a region b locked title infers that it's from a region b territory, and it is only playable there, unless you have an unlocked player. region b/c titles, i really don't even know what to call, besides bullshit.

region free can be called region a/b/c or abc. or region all. it doesn't matter what terminology we use, it's the meaning behind it. i think the phrase region b locked says everything we need to know in as few words as possible.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post
No, I don't think that's true at all, at least not on forums such as this where everyone is familiar with these terms. If a specific Blu-Ray disc is referred to as "region B," I guarantee you that most people here would interpret that as meaning it's locked to region B, not that it's simply from a region B territory.
Look at how amazon describes it.
"Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)"
Specifying that its 'locked' in some way is something that needs to be pointed out for most people.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Former Member

it would be amazing if online retailers actually reported what region coding (if applicable) is on discs. you know, scan the back of the package for consumers. yes, some titles w/ only an A or a B are region free, in all actuality, and Fox is notorious for putting ABC on foreign releases, and marking domestic ones region A, despite being region free. it would just help us all out so damn much. so many titles i'd buy if i knew the coding to them.