Did anyone buy Tremors on BD yet? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 301
Default Did anyone buy Tremors on BD yet?

If not, I'd recommend you save your money. I picked it up at Best Buy the other day and watched it earlier tonight and man it looked awful. I think it's one of the worse BD transfers I've seen in a while. I'm no expert but I noticed a lot of DNR and some scenes looked like it was DVD up-converted. It's a shame because I really like this movie and obviously Universal didn't really spend any money on transferring this film to BD.

Just FYI if you're considering buying this disc, it's pretty bad.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 164
Default

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll still wait for reviews, but it seems like I won't be getting this one on Blu-Ray. I've finally made it a point not to upgrade anymore of my DVDs to Blu-Ray. There may be exceptions here and there, but I'll only get new movies on Blu-Ray. As for Tremors, I've already got three copies of the movie: One on VHS, two on DVD; one seperate DVD release and one as part of the Tremors Attack Pack. Shame Universal screwed the pooch on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Juio's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattest30 View Post
If not, I'd recommend you save your money. I picked it up at Best Buy the other day and watched it earlier tonight and man it looked awful. I think it's one of the worse BD transfers I've seen in a while. I'm no expert but I noticed a lot of DNR and some scenes looked like it was DVD up-converted. It's a shame because I really like this movie and obviously Universal didn't really spend any money on transferring this film to BD.

Just FYI if you're considering buying this disc, it's pretty bad.
Wow, the HD-DVD version doesn't sound anything like that. I have this movie on HD-DVD and it looks fantastic for a low budget film. The film grain is still there, the added EE doesn't ruin the picture at all, and it looks sharp. It doesn't look like an upscaled dvd at all since it has a lot of fine detail. I thought the BD version would the same as the HD-DVD version, but since you said it was that bad then shame on Universal.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Hans Gruber's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 526
Default

yea i knew the hd dvd was going to look better . Thats how UNiversal rolls , take the hd dvd transfer of the film , add un needed Dnr and bam !! score another for the hd dvd club
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 PM
The Limey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,055
Default

I will give this a wide berth. Already own the and am seeing no reason whatsoever to acquire the .

Pass.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
yea i knew the hd dvd was going to look better . Thats how UNiversal rolls , take the hd dvd transfer of the film , add un needed Dnr and bam !! score another for the hd dvd club
That is why I treasure my Universal HD-DVDs, heck at $5 a pop why not?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 AM
vinnie97's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,897
Default

Goofy Uni, snubbing BD videophiles. ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
score another for the hd dvd club
What, are they still hanging around shooting baskets after everyone else has gone home?

Too bad it doesn't sound like this old favourite will be joining my collection...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Motorheadache's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,506
Default

So what if you don't own a copy of it at all yet (and don't have an HD-DVD player)? Is it worth buying then, or is it so bad that I should just buy a DVD for dirt cheap?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juio View Post
Wow, the HD-DVD version doesn't sound anything like that. I have this movie on HD-DVD and it looks fantastic for a low budget film. The film grain is still there, the added EE doesn't ruin the picture at all, and it looks sharp. It doesn't look like an upscaled dvd at all since it has a lot of fine detail. I thought the BD version would the same as the HD-DVD version, but since you said it was that bad then shame on Universal.
Same here, my HD-DVD looks great and would never consider a BD copy of it. Got mine for $2.00 including shipping, so one of my better deals!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Canadians: Tremors Attack Pack (Tremors 1-4 Collection) $13.99 @ Amazon.ca theHDphantom Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 0 09-03-2014 05:32 PM
Did you watch Motherhood? Apparently hardly anyone in the UK did. Tnecniv Film Forum 2 05-28-2010 07:56 PM
Master & Commander - Did anyone actually get this yet? shark420 Blu-ray Software General Discussion 12 05-16-2008 02:46 AM
Anyone else surprised at how good Tremors looked? MrFalconHD HD DVD Software General Discussion 15 11-25-2007 09:17 PM
Tremors announced timbobarry HD DVD Software General Discussion 38 11-10-2007 04:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off