Did anyone buy Tremors on BD yet? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-13-2010, 01:13 AM

Default Did anyone buy Tremors on BD yet?

If not, I'd recommend you save your money. I picked it up at Best Buy the other day and watched it earlier tonight and man it looked awful. I think it's one of the worse BD transfers I've seen in a while. I'm no expert but I noticed a lot of DNR and some scenes looked like it was DVD up-converted. It's a shame because I really like this movie and obviously Universal didn't really spend any money on transferring this film to BD.

Just FYI if you're considering buying this disc, it's pretty bad.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll still wait for reviews, but it seems like I won't be getting this one on Blu-Ray. I've finally made it a point not to upgrade anymore of my DVDs to Blu-Ray. There may be exceptions here and there, but I'll only get new movies on Blu-Ray. As for Tremors, I've already got three copies of the movie: One on VHS, two on DVD; one seperate DVD release and one as part of the Tremors Attack Pack. Shame Universal screwed the pooch on this one.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattest30 View Post
If not, I'd recommend you save your money. I picked it up at Best Buy the other day and watched it earlier tonight and man it looked awful. I think it's one of the worse BD transfers I've seen in a while. I'm no expert but I noticed a lot of DNR and some scenes looked like it was DVD up-converted. It's a shame because I really like this movie and obviously Universal didn't really spend any money on transferring this film to BD.

Just FYI if you're considering buying this disc, it's pretty bad.
Wow, the HD-DVD version doesn't sound anything like that. I have this movie on HD-DVD and it looks fantastic for a low budget film. The film grain is still there, the added EE doesn't ruin the picture at all, and it looks sharp. It doesn't look like an upscaled dvd at all since it has a lot of fine detail. I thought the BD version would the same as the HD-DVD version, but since you said it was that bad then shame on Universal.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM

yea i knew the hd dvd was going to look better . Thats how UNiversal rolls , take the hd dvd transfer of the film , add un needed Dnr and bam !! score another for the hd dvd club
Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 PM

I will give this a wide berth. Already own the and am seeing no reason whatsoever to acquire the .

Pass.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
yea i knew the hd dvd was going to look better . Thats how UNiversal rolls , take the hd dvd transfer of the film , add un needed Dnr and bam !! score another for the hd dvd club
That is why I treasure my Universal HD-DVDs, heck at $5 a pop why not?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 AM

Goofy Uni, snubbing BD videophiles. ;-)
Old 11-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post
score another for the hd dvd club
What, are they still hanging around shooting baskets after everyone else has gone home?

Too bad it doesn't sound like this old favourite will be joining my collection...
Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 PM

So what if you don't own a copy of it at all yet (and don't have an HD-DVD player)? Is it worth buying then, or is it so bad that I should just buy a DVD for dirt cheap?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juio View Post
Wow, the HD-DVD version doesn't sound anything like that. I have this movie on HD-DVD and it looks fantastic for a low budget film. The film grain is still there, the added EE doesn't ruin the picture at all, and it looks sharp. It doesn't look like an upscaled dvd at all since it has a lot of fine detail. I thought the BD version would the same as the HD-DVD version, but since you said it was that bad then shame on Universal.
Same here, my HD-DVD looks great and would never consider a BD copy of it. Got mine for $2.00 including shipping, so one of my better deals!