'Romeo + Juliet' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM

Default 'Romeo + Juliet' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Romeo + Juliet' has just been posted. Nate says the film is still entertaining. This Blu-ray has remastered but not entirely impressive video, great audio, and a nice collection of extras. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3927/romeojuliet.html
Old 11-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Default "HD" extras

I sped read the article, so maybe you touched on this, but I think it should be pointed out that, in the extras, the video itself is not HD. It is old SD material, shown in a very small window on the screen, with a boarder around all sides, to fill up the 1920x1080 pixel space. Why they did this, and not just include the video at the original 480p, is beyond me. I would much rather have had the video upconverted than in these postage-stamped sized windows. It makes the extras practically unwatchable if you have anything smaller than a 60 inch screen.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 PM

I only really dislike a few movies of all the ones I've seen. Baz Luhrmann has directed 2 of them.

This was one of those huge movies that aimed right at the heart of the demographic I was in at the time, and I despise it. I think every girl I dated at the time had a copy of this soundtrack (heck, even my wife has an old copy, lol.)
Old 12-28-2010, 04:31 PM

I felt like this was a pretty spot-on review. My only complaint- no shoutout to Harold Perrineau as Mercutio in the section highlighting the quality performances. Next to Sorvino, I really thought he gave the best performance. I thought Leguizamo was ok too, better than just a sneer... He had good/believable emotion, and fit the character of Tybalt well, but his delivery in that Elizabethan English could have been more natural.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 PM

This movie was vomit-inducing in every aspect. Ugh.