Blu-ray Isn't Just for Movies? Blu-Con 2010 Ends by Highlighting Blu-ray Music - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Default Blu-ray Isn't Just for Movies? Blu-Con 2010 Ends by Highlighting Blu-ray Music

Blu-ray Isn't Just for Movies? Blu-Con 2010 Ends by Highlighting Blu-ray Music

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ray_Music/5774
Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 PM

I personally don't care about Blu-ray audio discs but I would LOVE to see a lot more concert films. I already own a handful (Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds, NIN, Videogames LIVE!) but I would buy a ton if there were some available for artists I actually like.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:28 PM

I'm definitely into Blu-Ray audio, provided it is well mastered with full dynamic range. The Tom Petty "Mojo" Blu-Ray sounds fantastic, and the early reviews on "Damn The Torpedoes" are that it is just as good.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:24 PM

I absolutely love the possibilities for blu-ray audio. High fidelity music in surround sound with hardware that I already own for watching movies. How can it get better? Well it actually does because if future blu-ray audio releases are anything like what Tom Petty has already done, then they will come with the option to download lossless FLAC files of the album so you can have the music on your computer in even better quality than you could get from a CD since these FLAC files are mastered in higher resolution than what CD's put out.

I absolutely hate the trend of digital music these days being in lossy mp3 or aac format. I refuse to pay money for lossy music when I can currently go out and buy higher quality sound from the CD and it comes with matching artwork for nearly the same price. If the music industry would finally start supporting lossless FLAC format the way Tom Petty and a few others have, then I would be very happy. Blu-ray audio releases can help make that happen.

I'm so excited for blu-ray audio to be a widely accepted format that I bought Tom Petty's Mojo in blu-ray audio simply to support the format. I have little interest in Tom Petty, but I love having high fidelity surround music and I wish more future and past studio albums will be released or re-released this way. It's my last hope for the music industry since blu-ray audio has the potential to be a great thing given the fact that everyone with a blu-ray player for movies (and hopefully a decent associated surround sound setup of course) already has the hardware to take advantage of the format for music purposes unlike the (mostly) failed DVD-Audio and SACD formats. Not only do you get a great surround sound experience, but when they include lossless 2-channel FLAC files for you computer and other mobile devices, it's a perfect world for digital music consumption. I'm beginning to fear that more and more people are starting to accept lossy audio as the "standard" and don't even realize what good music is supposed to sound like. Blu-ray audio has the potential to show people that provided it gets marketed and supported by the industry properly. There are incredibly few reasons these days for lossy music to still be "acceptable". The only reason it ever took off in the first place is because it provided small enough files for each song to allow for relatively easy digital storage and transfer over the internet. With the size of hard drives today and the speed of broadband internet, there is no reason why FLAC should not be more widely supported. Blu-ray audio can go hand-in-hand when they are packaged together. Get a great surround sound experience and a great mobile digital sound experience packaged together. It's a great thing.

Please make more blu-ray audio albums!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Agreed. There's an awful lot of albums that have multi-channel mixes already done, that were released on SACD and other formats. At least some of them -- say, Dark Side of the Moon -- would probably sell enough to justify pressing them on BD.

I'd also buy the Pixies albums, if that Minotaur monstrosity (which contained the Pixies albums on Blu Ray) came down below the $200 mark.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:36 PM

I only own one concert disc, Dispatch: Zimbabwe, but I play it about once a month. There are other concerts/artists I'd like, but most of them are not very mainstream US artists.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 PM

It should also allow for higher resolution stereo tracks as well as multi-channel tracks. I own many AIX recordings, including their first Blu-Ray sampler and find their stereo mixes to be significantly "better" than their 5.1 recordings (I do not have 7.1 so I cannot comment on them).

Blu-Ray discs do not just have to be about video content, though I doubt their are many, if any, Blu-Ray disc players capable of playing resolutions higher than 192/24.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 AM

Although a world with heavenly sounding music would be one of my dreams come true, it's a very unlikely scenario: people this days don't "sit down" to listen to music, let alone to a record from beggining to end; music listening has become something that you do while you're doing something else: while you drive, while you work, while you surf the web, while you're on the toilet, etc., so you could care less about how the motherf----r sounds: it just has to fill the silence. People are content with listening lossy and loudly mastered audio thru their tiny earphones, so the music business doesn't care about improving anything (we're still getting the best audio quality from a 30 year old technology). I'm pretty sure that if internet speeds back in the day had allowed to download movies as easyly as it was for mp3s, Blu-ray wouldn't have even existed.

On the other hand, BD music could be my worst nightmare: 7.1 channels loud as f--k! (Google "Loudness Wars" and support the cause.)
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Where's my Dido Live BD Sony?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:22 AM

Heres what Id like.

A few months after artists release the album.
Release the blu ray including every music video and concert available in HD with lossless audio. Plus a 5.1 version of every/mostly track on the album.

Quote:
Although a world with heavenly sounding music would be one of my dreams come true, it's a very unlikely scenario: people this days don't "sit down" to listen to music, let alone to a record from beggining to end;
Very true. But with the advent of youtube vevo another increasing trend(I think) is watching the video music video as much as listening to the track. Just audio would be useless, but I think blu ray could have a chance at something if they include video in the package.