HDD's own Josh Zyber Brings the Rain to Blu-Con 2010 & BD-Live - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-09-2010, 04:34 PM

Default HDD's own Josh Zyber Brings the Rain to Blu-Con 2010 & BD-Live

HDD's own Josh Zyber Brings the Rain to Blu-Con 2010 & BD-Live

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...__BD-Live/5773
Old 11-09-2010, 05:06 PM

I've disabled BD internet access now. It has enhanced my viewing experience. Faster loading time, less rubbish, and no lockups. It is great.

It was ironic The Office Season 6 was mentioned in the article considering the number of people that had issues with episodes just freezing until they turned of internet connectivity...
Old 11-09-2010, 05:22 PM

I don't get what is being said about digital copy. Limited time offer etc. Does this mean DC's are time bombed?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
if a WiFi signal drops out mid-firmware update, the hardware could end up "bricked" (non operational) because part of the firmware process involves deleting the old firmware, or operating system.
The player shouldn't be reliant on an active connection to fully complete a firmware upgrade. It's only used during an upgrade to download the update (if you choose to get it that way). The only thing that should brick a player is if it loses power during a firmware update.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
I don't get what is being said about digital copy. Limited time offer etc. Does this mean DC's are time bombed?
I have no use for digital copies and have never used one. But from what I've read in the trading forums, there's a printed activation code that has to be entered before it will let you copy the DC to a device, and it's the activation code that has a time limit on it. The DCs themselves are not time limited - once they're copied, they'll play forever.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:39 PM

You have a limited time to download them. But yes... Essentially digital copies can be time bombed to no longer work. That is part of the problem I have with BD-Live enabled discs and digital downloads.

Aside from a class action lawsuit, there's nothing stopping the studios from ultimately going, "We have a new version, so you'll have to buy it." and selling a kill command that disables the BD or Digital Copy. This was actually done on the Kung Fu Panda Blu-ray, where the Noodle making segment is not longer accessible. - Technically, everything we buy is under a license agreement with the studios. (Read all of the Warnings show before & after a film plays...)

fitprod
Old 11-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
The player shouldn't be reliant on an active connection to fully complete a firmware upgrade. It's only used during an upgrade to download the update (if you choose to get it that way). The only thing that should brick a player is if it loses power during a firmware update.
For a player, yes - they have enough memory to store the FW download & do a checksum before attempting to install and over-write the current FW. But the sentence before what you quoted is key: "Amazon customers may be calling out for more built-in WiFi, but both D&M Holdings and Panasonic are wary of WiFi for everything, especially AV Receivers". Consumer electronic devices like AV receivers typically don't have surplus memory to store downloads, they would be over-writing the FW as it downloads.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
There's a printed activation code that has to be entered before it will let you copy the DC to a device. The DCs themselves are not time limited - once they're copied, they'll play forever.
Well only as long as that device is operational. If you move to a new device and that activation code no longer works the shiny disc becomes nothing more than a coaster. I'm assuming the DC is still DRM'ed so no backup copy will work. This is BS!! I can take a computer and install my copy of Windows 98 on it to this very day even though MS no longer supports that O-S and still use it.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 PM

You're right about the time limit applying to the activation code but here's my experience. I bought a copy of the Matrix that included a digital copy about a year after its BD release date. I specifically wanted the DC for my IPOD as well as the BD for my home theatre. Unfortunately DC had just expired. I went back to the store to demand my money back but they wouldn't give a refund. They argued that there was nothing wrong with BD itself. The fact that I couldn't use the DC was my problem not a manufacturing defect. In anger I left the whole package on the counter and walked out.

Since then I've checked at several other stores and have found they all still have a copy or two of The Matrix complete with a expired DC. There seems to be no sense of responsibility at Warner's that the copies with expired DCs need to be removed and replaced either with an updated digital copy or with no digital copy if the offer is over. The consumer should not be taken advantage of this way.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Tropic Thunder has awesome BD Live material. It seems to be endless, and it's hysterical. I wish more studios would put as much effort into BD Live. I love having it; it's like an endless list of extras attached to the movie.