'Antichrist' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Default 'Antichrist' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed 'Antichrist.' He considers the film a must own, but says it's definitely not for everyone. With immaculate video, solid audio, and some very interesting extras, this release comes recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3410/antichrist.html
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM

Day 1!!!!!

I had the UK import version, but never got around to it. I was happy when CC decided to put it out.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Definitely looks like a great disc but I need to think a little more about whether to purchase this or not. I have only seen some fragments of the film so I can't judge it as if I saw the whole movie. I must say thought, that I was not all that shocked by it. Sure, it is kind of a hard watch because of the visually strong theme it touch but honestly, there are lots of films that can be classified as more "shocking". I simply don't know from where all the claims are coming.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcritic View Post
Definitely looks like a great disc but I need to think a little more about whether to purchase this or not. I have only seen some fragments of the film so I can't judge it as if I saw the whole movie. I must say thought, that I was not all that shocked by it. Sure, it is kind of a hard watch because of the visually strong theme it touch but honestly, there are lots of films that can be classified as more "shocking". I simply don't know from where all the claims are coming.
That's the hype machine working overtime. I know a handful of people who saw this movie and came away shrugging their shoulders over what all the fuss is about. They didn't say it was bad, just nothing particularly special either to justify the buzz. I still wanna check it to decide for myself, but won't go in expecting "the most disturbing movie ever made" tag that some are giving it. A while back, Nate Boss linked to a movie called "A Serbian Movie" that sounded waaaayyyy more disturbing. A little too disturbing

Last edited by HiRez; 11-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Actually it's 'A Serbian Film.' And judging from the red band trailer, it's far more disturbing than 'Antichrist' for sure.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:35 PM

^^Fixed it, thanks Landy! That's definitely the one I was referencing. As much as I enjoy challenging films, that one seems too upsetting for me.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 PM

I've been wanting to catch this for some time. For the first time, though, I think I'll be renting a Criterion BD before purchase. Thanks for the review!

Oh, and there's a mistake in this sentence: ". . . caught on video and appearing on this disc for all of prosperity". The word you want is posterity, unless the journalist indeed was in it for the money! Then, I'll just shut my big trap.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Thumbs down

What a crappy movie. I had read a couple of articles about it and was really excited when it was available via streaming on netflix. I was shocked at the beginning (sex) but once that faded away the movie was just a little too slow. It did set up a nice mood but it just didn't click for me, I had the sense that Lars was thinking "what till they see what I do next!" while shooting this. To be fair, the movie looks amazing and the camera work really stands out, especially the forrest scenes but overall I found my self bored about an hour into the fim. Huge skip it for me.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:56 PM

There was a lot more shock than substance to this film. The opening scene which looked like a Channel advert was ridiculous.

Wasn't the film shot at 25fps and not 24fps for some strange reason? I remember controversy about this before, and the UK release being 1080i/25 so it was at the correct speed..?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:40 PM

I can't stand looking at Willem Dafoe for 2 minutes in a film much less watch him having sex so i'm out.