'White Christmas' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Default 'White Christmas' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'White Christmas' has just been posted. David Krauss says this is a holiday fave. This Blu-ray blows the DVD out of the water with 4.5 star video! Strong audio and tons of extras add to this release's heft. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3930...christmas.html
Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM

Looks awesome! Definitely need to add this to my collection. My favorite time of year!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 AM

Target and Amz both have it for $15.99 right now
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 AM

We're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny [flippin'] Kaye.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM

I'm not sure if its okay to post a link to another review, but if you have not seen the movie, the screenshots over at blu-Ray.com provide enough eye candy that it will make anyone want to pick it up.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/White-.../15357/#Review

Clicking on the picture shows you a picture that is resized to 720p for the web, but should wet your appitite! Its absolutely beautiful!

I think this movie introduced me to a new demo disc to show off to friends. Calling it Amazing is an understatement.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
Target and Amz both have it for $15.99 right now
This is one of my favorite holiday movies because my mom like it so much, and David's review makes it sound like a worthy upgrade to my DVD. But $23 was a little rich. Glad Amazon price matched Target, just ordered a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001UHOWX8
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
This is one of my favorite holiday movies because my mom like it so much, and David's review makes it sound like a worthy upgrade to my DVD. But $23 was a little rich. Glad Amazon price matched Target, just ordered a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001UHOWX8
I had preordered, so I think I paid $19 for it. Its a good price, though, for a new release Blu-Ray of a classic movie, and this is even better! Prices like this are what is really going to push Blu-Ray! Hope Disney is paying attention!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:58 PM

The review here is absolutely right - this should have, of course, received the kind of flag-waving rave from Robert Harris on the HTF that he gave to the not as good transfer of The Sound of Music, but, as is his fashion, while he liked the transfer he did not rave - shame on him. This is the best transfer of a VistaVision film I've ever seen. He said it wasn't as sharp as it should be, to which I have only one word in response: Glasses. This is surely one of the transfers of the year, with perfect color, sharpness and everything else anyone could ever want in a transfer.

Two little things for the reviewer: I doubt you know what the "natural grain structure of the film" is - not a criticism, but honestly how could you have any idea what the VistaVision negative's grain structure is, which I can assure, would be minimal at most, which this transfer does replicate. Secondly, the soft bits you refer to are surely all the opticals in the film - you should absolutely point out that those are what you're talking about - otherwise it gets confusing for people. The ONLY moments when this transfer goes in any way soft are the optical dissolves and what comes before and after them. Otherwise, high marks for you.