'The House of the Devil' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Default 'The House of the Devil' - High-Def Digest Review

Tom Landy has reviewed 'The House of the Devil.' Sorry horror fans, he didn't like it all that much, saying this one didn't live up to the hype. This Blu-ray features similarly unspectacular video and audio, and a few extras that fans may enjoy. All in all, rent this one long before you consider a purchase.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2827...fthedevil.html
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM

i completely agree.

its true, once you get passed the "80s" of it all, its quite boring and pointless. they get major kudos for how acurate it all is, even the film stock/quality looked like some old 80s VHS movie but its just so boring. don't mind waiting a bit for things to start in some movies but when nothing happens until the last 10-15mins of a movie..thats just wrong and a waste of time.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 PM

I disagree though I didn't at first. After my initial viewing I hated it. But after watching a second, and then third time, I really enjoyed it. I will say that it is not worth owning on Blu-ray unless you can get it for $10 or under.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Excellent review, Tom. I think your analysis of the movie is spot on
Old 11-04-2010, 02:15 PM

I really enjoyed this one. I found it very suspenseful and effective at creating a sense of dread throughout. One of my favs from last year.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
i completely agree.

its true, once you get passed the "80s" of it all, its quite boring and pointless. they get major kudos for how acurate it all is, even the film stock/quality looked like some old 80s VHS movie but its just so boring. don't mind waiting a bit for things to start in some movies but when nothing happens until the last 10-15mins of a movie..thats just wrong and a waste of time.
Hell yes! I had a lot of hope for this reading all the hype-filled reviews. I tried to take my own life a few times during this film but my family recussitated me each time. Nothing does happen. Really. The only other film Ive seen LESS happen would be Terry Malick's New World which is essentially a trip down a river from the boats point of view.

Just putrid, 80's low-budget crap.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:11 PM

I'll rent this. I'm also a big fan of style over substance, so it may work out. We'll see.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:43 PM

The ending is certainly contrived, but it's the exact ending that any of the countless horror movies from the 80s would have had. This story would probably have been a better fit on the Masters of Horror TV series once the hour where nothing happens was taken out.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I'll rent this. I'm also a big fan of style over substance, so it may work out. We'll see.
Yep, I think it's worth seeing to make your own judgment, as there seems to be a lot of fans of the film, but there also seems to be quite a few haters so only blind buy it if you can get it dirt cheap. Otherwise stick to a rental first just to be safe.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Oh and cheez, don't watch the trailer if you haven't seen it yet. I purposely didn't include it in the review because it's basically the entire movie. All its missing is the other 97 minutes or so of nothingness.