'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Ultimate Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM

Default 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Ultimate Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Ultimate Edition' has been posted. Unlike what you might hear on other sites, Aaron says this release is only for the serious collector's out there, as aside from the packaging (which they ruined), you probably have this on your shelf already. Read the review for all the details, but rest easy in knowing that this is NOT a must own release. For collectors only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3716..._ultimate.html
Old 11-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Goblet of Fire 4/5 stars? It was the WORST one yet! Wow.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM

This is my favorite of the series, followed by Azkaban. But, still not worth it to upgrade to this edition.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM

I have to say, I'm with Favelle on this. That said, if someone is buying any of these, they'll probably be buying all of them. It's somewhat disappointing that they aren't really providing the features carried over from the DVDs in HD for these "Ultimate" editions.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM

I really wish I'd read this review before I bought my copy on import. What is it with these moronic film companies that they launch a series with promises and then completely renege on them part way through. Does every film company employ a moron in marketing who thinks they have to put their own indelible stamp on a series that's already set a "house style"?

Hopefully people will boycott this blatant cash grab by Warners and they'll treat their customers with a bit more respect next time.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Confused. It states that the Video is identical to the HD-DVD release, but then says the picture is marginally better than the UK HD-DVD import. Did they use different sources on the US and UK ones, and did they use different encodes on the HD-DVD and the original Blu-Ray set?

Also, you mentioned about the DTS-MA soundtrack, but the Blu-Rays had had PCM sound and the HD-DVDs had Dolby TrueHD. At least with the Sorceror's / Philosopher's Stone, which I have on Blu-Ray, the Ultimate Edition, and on HD-DVD (UK import), the audio sounded identical to me.

In any case, it sounds like these will be passes for me. The whole reason I bought the Ultimate Editions was for the extended cuts. I don't think I am going to pay $40 for a one hour-documentary that is only mildly interesting, not when, everything else on the discs I already have (except for the Picture-In-Picture). I agree with everyone else - it sounds like WB really shot themselves in the foot on these two releases
Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevirus View Post
I have to say, I'm with Favelle on this. That said, if someone is buying any of these, they'll probably be buying all of them. It's somewhat disappointing that they aren't really providing the features carried over from the DVDs in HD for these "Ultimate" editions.
Yeah, I am waiting for the final box set. All 8 movies, one giant chest or something....
Old 11-04-2010, 01:55 PM

Isn't the In-Movie Experience (formerly exclusive to the HD-DVD version) included on this release?

Last edited by Martok; 11-04-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martok View Post
Isn't the In-Movie Experience (formerly exclusive to the HD-DVD version) included on this release?
Yes, it is. I originally had that in my review and somehow missed it as I was entering everything into our template that we use to post our reviews. Thanks for pointing that out. The review has been updated.

Twitter: @AaronPeck