'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Collector's Edition Box Set' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-31-2010, 05:30 PM

Default 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Collector's Edition Box Set' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of the 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Collector's Edition Box Set' is up. Nate says this series has a lot of nostalgia for some of us, but looking back on the films today, they're a very mixed bag (like a trick or treating bag filled with mostly Whoppers). This Blu-ray box set's video and audio also display mixed success. With little in the way of extras, except for on 'TMNT,' this set is for fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2136...urtles_ce.html
Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 PM

the nitpicky fanboy in me has to point out that TMNT takes place after the 3rd movie and not the 2nd. the "trophy room" we see at the end contains items from every movie. we see Shredder's helmet done in the first movie's design, the broken canister of ooze from the second movie and both the japanese armour they wore as well as the time scepter thingy from the 3rd movie.

sure they could have ignored the movie and it wouldnt matter but they clearly established this is indeed Part 4 and the first three adventures have happened.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

3.5 out of 5 stars for AQ and PQ but yet it's a fan's only release? I've seen bare-bones, recommended releases with fewer stars. Oh Well.... I still do recall Turtles 3 looking like a crappy VHS movie, glad Nate agrees.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Former Member

the fans only recommendation is due to the (lack of) strength of the films themselves. throw in more than a few low scores, and this one is only for fans. if it weren't for TMNT to drag all the scores up, this one would have been a bit lower on the marks, and TMNT, well, is available outside this release, unlike the others.

that's my reasoning. different reviewers may recommend differently than me, that's just how it is. on recommendations, i weight much heavier on film quality than tech, but tech certainly can change any release from a meh to a WOW...meh. or vice versa.

thanks for reading, and sorry for reminding you of TMNT 3.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:25 PM

The review is pretty much spot on, exactly what I would have said. TMNT 2 would have been better had it not been for the sporadic use of DNR in the daylight scenes. The Dolby TrueHD track on the 1st movie is the real highlight, it has a good soundtrack and a cool score that are represented amazingly well with lossless audio!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 AM

I wish they'd give the first movie some special features love like the PAL release... Odd that Neverending Story and Turtles only get special features in Europe and not America.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
I wish they'd give the first movie some special features love like the PAL release... Odd that Neverending Story and Turtles only get special features in Europe and not America.
+1. Supposedly director Steve Barron offered to give them some deleted scenes to use, but I guess that didn't work out for some reason. I'm still hoping they make a special edition of the first movie, maybe when that new live action reboot comes out.

I passed on this box set-- when I was a kid I used to love Turtles II, but now I find it pretty unwatchable. I also didn't care for TMNT much either. I did think some of the animation was impressive, but I didn't like the cartoony style of the human characters. Plus I couldn't get into the story at all.

And of course, what can you say about the third movie? To quote the Angry Video Game Nerd: "Cowabunga? Cowa-fucking-piece-of-dog-shit!"
Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
the fans only recommendation is due to the (lack of) strength of the films themselves. throw in more than a few low scores, and this one is only for fans. if it weren't for TMNT to drag all the scores up, this one would have been a bit lower on the marks, and TMNT, well, is available outside this release, unlike the others.
These movies are in my Netflix Que. My first thought was "How did Secret of the Ooze get such a low score", but I must have been 10 last time I saw it. Going through the Netflix steaming service, I have found many shows that I loved when I was 10 that I now cannot get through the opening credits of. The animated Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures is a great example - thought this was amazing as a kid. Then again, I still love the movies.

What struck me is that it took a year for this review to come out. Actually, I have noticed lately a huge drop off in the number of reviews, even though the number of movies coming out seems to be increasing. Did you guys loose some reviewers? Need any new ones? I could probably have Moulin Rouge, Romeo and Julliet and Santa Clause: The Movie reviewed for you by Wednesday. :-)
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Former Member

this title was never sent as a screener. it came out of my own pile. it won a vote to get a special review, but it took a damn long time to do, since i had to do 3 reviews, basically, to do it. was hard to find enough down time to do it in.

we haven't lost reviewers, and we actually post more reviews now than before. the normal week here is 10 reviews (1 friday, 1 sunday, 2 each monday through thursday), but we've had some weeks recently with 16 or more.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Former Member

and romeo + juliet is going to go live this week. fox sends titles day of release.