'The Amityville Horror (2005)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 PM

Default 'The Amityville Horror (2005)' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Amityville Horror (2005)' has just been posted. E says this remake actually improves upon the original! With excellent audio and video, but extras that are all contained on the bonus DVD, this delivers some scares, but is probably best as a rental.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3768...ille_2005.html
Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 PM

The new version was a turd! The original was one of the most scariest movies of my childhood, the new one was junk, a cheap generic reboot, not worthy of the Amityville name.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 PM

I thought the original was boring and generic. The reboot/remake/whatever was an entertaining spooker, with decent acting and apart from the usual kinetic editing, worked well. Nice to read this MGM dvd isn't a sd-dvd transfer/ out of date master ala Escape from New York, Robocop trilogy, Return of the Living Dead etc etc.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:47 PM

I liked both versions for different reasons and wouldn't even begin to try to "compare them" which to me is a fools game.. different movies, different eras, pointless. Having said that I still prefer the original.. the remake feels less natural to me and I simply prefer eerie/spooky scares to "jolt" scares. Really surprised also that this remake didn't nab even in part the Lalo Schifrin score which was the highpoint of the '79 feature.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 PM

I liked it when I saw it in theatres (sophmore year of high school I think). I re-watched it a few months ago and it wasn't as good as I remember. I am a fan of RR (especially after Buried) and he made this movie much better than it actually is. It's pretty average...worth a rental.