'High Tension' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Default 'High Tension' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'High Tension' has just been posted. Drew loves this movie, even if the final twist is preposterous. He says this Blu-ray has very nice video and audio, and the extras are all carried over from the DVD. Factor in a low price, and this Blu-ray is highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3653/hightension.html
Old 10-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Wink I agree with your review of the movie...

I thoroughly agree with your review about "High Tension." Throughout the entire movie I was literally on the edge of my seat wondering what would happen next. Then, in those last 5 minutes I completely felt a major letdown at the film becoming a little too "artsy" with the twist. I felt the same way with the movie "Identity," with John Cusack. But, this really is a very good slasher/scare flick, and I am sure I will enjoy on BD.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM

This was a film that I should have walked out on. I didn't. It remains one of my bigger regrets.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:40 PM

great ending but the end nearly ruined it.....do yourself a favor and dont watch the last 5mins and make up your own ending
Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 PM

I didn't really get much out of this movie and indeed agree that the ending was meh. The one novel by Koontz that wasn't mentioned in the review here is Intensity, which this film almost seemed to completely rip off until the third act. My suggestion is to read Intensity. Hell, check out the made-for-TV movie Intensity, which sees John C. McGinley as the maniac. The movie is okay, but McGinley is the perfect choice.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:18 PM

This is the first review I have seen that mention Dean Koontz's name, even though he missed the correct book title. While he states that this reminds him of Dean Koontz's style, me misses the obvious - that the screenplay is a CLEAR plagiarism of Koontz's "Intensity". At least it is up until the terrible twist near the end, which I am convinced was done just so they could pretend that it wasn't a rip off. I have been amazed every time I read a review that nobody picks up on this.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM

"But that last twist is such a colossal bungle, not only from a narrative standpoint but just in terms of common sense, that it almost ruined everything that came before it."

it 100% ruined the movie for me. I was really into it too. SO DUMB!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post
"But that last twist is such a colossal bungle, not only from a narrative standpoint but just in terms of common sense, that it almost ruined everything that came before it."

it 100% ruined the movie for me. I was really into it too. SO DUMB!
^ This. The movie went from being a really tense, suspensful thriller....easily a 4 out of 5....then it became just complete BS in the last few minutes...lucily 3/4 of the movie was good and it was still worth the $7.99 I paid for it at Best Buy.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:36 PM

I'll wade in here in defence of Haute Tension, I loved the film, and had no issue with the 'twist'. A second viewing revealed interesting clues to what was to come. Made perfect sense to me. I guess some just prefer conventional plotting

The US BD is a fine representation of the theatrical look, and having recently rewatched it on the big screen, I'm pleased it appears as though Lion's Gate have not fudged with the transfer in regards to DVNR/sharpening.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 PM

Ok I've never seen this movie but heard so much about the ending, could someone please spoil it for me? I don't mind spoilers since this is a horror movie, I only this kind of film for the blood and guts.