'Hatchet: Unrated Director's Cut' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2010, 04:59 PM

Default 'Hatchet: Unrated Director's Cut' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of the 'Hatchet: Unrated Director's Cut' has just been posted. Drew isn't a huge fan, but says the film has its enthusiasts, and it sports a welcome sense of humor. Video is solid but unexceptional, audio is a bit better, extras should more than satisfy fans. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3547/hatchet_dc.html
Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 PM

I liked this. Worth the $9.99 price that I picked it up for at BB.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Totally agree about Green being a gushy fanboy and "green" filmmaker. He's like Ti West, only slightly better.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 PM

wow, couldn't disagree with this review more. I loved this awesome gory horror movie. Sure, the plot is nothing special but it is very fast paced, funny, cleverly written and gory as all hell, I didn't find the special effects at all "rubbery", I'm just glad there was no horrible fake CGI blood and guts which generally ruins any good gory scene. Easily one of the funner horror movies I've seen in the past several years. And Landy, Ti West has yet to make anything bad (other than the studio tampered with Cabin Fever 2). The Roost, Trigger Man and House of the Devil are all bad ass in this horror fans humble opinion.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 PM

I give Adam Green props. He may be a fanboy, but he's actually making movies. What are we doing? We're just sitting here talking shit on forums. He's actually doing it.

/rant
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM

I agree with the review. This movie is about a 3-3.5 at best. I was actually disappointed because I thought there was too much humor in this movie. I'm waiting for somebody to just make a straight up gory as hell horror movie again, without relying on the cheesy slapstick moments. Seriously, there were some real unnecessary"Scooby Doo" like moments in "Hatchet." That being said, "Hatchet" is worth the $10 price tag.

"Frozen" is a much better all around movie than this. At least "Frozen" was able to establish an effectively disturbing tone, and it stuck with it throughout the movie.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 PM

Yeah... I thought this film sucked balls!

The poster tagline is the biggest mistake, as the film simply presents old school gore... old school horror is something else entirely. And to my mind, the only contemporary film to live up to such a statement was Ti West's House Of The Devil.

I found Hatchet to be very uninspired, by-the-numbers forgettable trash. I found no laughs to be had with the try-hard script... the only slight giggles arising from the ridiculousness of the 'monster'.

Although I didn't love Frozen, it sure was leaps and bounds above this. And yes... I agree with Cheeze that at least he is out making movies, while we are just ranting about them, but you don't need to be a filmmaker to critique a film... i have always considered filmmakers and critics as two seperate halves of a whole.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post
And Landy, Ti West has yet to make anything bad (other than the studio tampered with Cabin Fever 2). The Roost, Trigger Man and House of the Devil are all bad ass in this horror fans humble opinion.
Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Ti West is one of the most overrated film directors in the history of filmmaking. His movies aren't original, besides relying on gimmicks to get noticed (IE: the horror host in 'The Roost,' the eighties look in 'The House of the Devil,' etc.) and pads his movies with tedious filler just to fill out the runtime.

And studio tampering or not, ALL of Cabin Fever 2 stinks to high heaven. Which, in turn, means even West's contributions are awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
The poster tagline is the biggest mistake, as the film simply presents old school gore... old school horror is something else entirely. And to my mind, the only contemporary film to live up to such a statement was Ti West's House Of The Devil.
See, I really think that's just an optical illusion. He made the movie look older, so automatically it's considered "old school," but it isn't executed nearly as well as it seems. I mean I've seen my fair share of eighties horror, but this isn't like any of those movies, mainly because those films had stuff happening at least. Basically, Ti West had a poorly written and underdeveloped script with absolutely nothing fresh (and a horrible, horrible, ending I might add) but hey, I guess it's amazing because it looks old.

Anyway, to get back on topic about Hatchet, I found parts of it mildly entertaining, but I don't think I'd want to ever watch it again or buy it. I just thought it could've been so much better.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Then we'll just have to agree to disagree. Ti West is one of the most overrated film directors in the history of filmmaking. His movies aren't original, besides relying on gimmicks to get noticed (IE: the horror host in 'The Roost,' the eighties look in 'The House of the Devil,' etc.) and pads his movies with tedious filler just to fill out the runtime.

And studio tampering or not, ALL of Cabin Fever 2 stinks to high heaven. Which, in turn, means even West's contributions are awful.

See, I really think that's just an optical illusion. He made the movie look older, so automatically it's considered "old school," but it isn't executed nearly as well as it seems. I mean I've seen my fair share of eighties horror, but this isn't like any of those movies, mainly because those films had stuff happening at least. Basically, Ti West had a poorly written and underdeveloped script with absolutely nothing fresh (and a horrible, horrible, ending I might add) but hey, I guess it's amazing because it looks old.

Anyway, to get back on topic about Hatchet, I found parts of it mildly entertaining, but I don't think I'd want to ever watch it again or buy it. I just thought it could've been so much better.
well, I do agree with you on the fact that ALL of Cabin Fever 2 sucked. I'm a horror nerd so I do look past some of the flaws of Ti West such as his padding of movies (which he certainly does), I just totally dig his style as well as Adam Green. Minus Spiral which was mediocre at best.