Back to the Future packaging, bad enough to wait?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Default Back to the Future packaging, bad enough to wait??

I keep reading all these horrendous reviews of how bad the packaging is on the BTTF BD set. I want to buy the set badly but I wanted to see if anyone believes Universal will change it due to all the overwhelming negative reviews it's been getting.

Ones like this: http://culturemob.com/blog/why-unive...re-blu-ray-set
Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM

Well, Universal eventually reissued the Battlestar Galactica Complete Series in better packaging. So it's possible, but may take a while.

If you're not afraid to pay a little extra, you can import the UK Collector's Tin set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Trilo...dp/B003U5UQCE/
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Seeing how best buy was sold out when I tried to get it yesterday, I'm kind of considering waiting or maybe going for the UK one if its region free. I like how all this bother is because of digital copies, they're so useless to me at least.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:12 PM

thanks for the input guys, I didn't know they revised the Battlestar packaging, good to know. Normally I wouldn't even think twice as packaging is packaging, but there's so many negative reviews on it and people messing their discs up so I thought I'd ask.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM

I'd wager that the people messing up their discs are mentally challenged.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judesalmon View Post
Got it, well I have been told I'm a lil dim but I guess i'll crack and get it... I may post a 40-min instructional video on youtube on how to remove the disc without damaging them or inciting a Ninja attack.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:29 PM

sorry, someone beat 'ya to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PSNIuL0XN8
Here are my instructions from the review (hope they help):

"we find a gatefold cardboard box with three, clear-plastic panels. Each one holds two discs the Blu-ray sits comfortably atop a Digital Copy and they are a bit tricky to remove. Place your thumb in the middle ring and your index finger on the top edge of the disc. Push down and carefully lift using your index finger."
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 10-27-2010, 08:22 PM

My friend feels cheated that he's not able to get the Mexico import version with the flying Delorean.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judesalmon View Post
Sorry, but no...we aren't mentally challenged....the packaging just sucks. It's not so much about messing up the discs, but it's more about messing up the packaging while removing the discs. There are really tiny plastic clips that hold the discs in, and when you try to pull the discs out the plastic clips can easily break off. Then, since there is no spindle, the discs wont be held in place by anything. Moreover, its not very obvious how to get the discs out, so I can easily see how people would damage the discs while trying to pull them out.

As for the original posters question: I think the Back to the Future films are good enough that packaging shouldn't be a factor in the purchasing decision. The packaging sucks, its some of the worst I've ever seen, but what are you going to do about it? The only thing you can do is buy the movies and cross your fingers that they release replacement cases. If they don't release replacement cases, then you can get individual blu-ray cases and get custom art.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Sorry. I don't consider myself stupid and *I* couldn't figure out how to get the discs out either.

What does the UK version look like? Is it slimmer?