Get More out of Your Avatar Blu-ray with BD-Live - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Get More out of Your Avatar Blu-ray with BD-Live

The folks over at Fox have added a nice little bundle of content that should hold you over until the release of the collector's edition next month. Features include deleted scenes, screen tests and excerpts from the documentary.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Unhappy Avatar BD Extras'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDickWard View Post
The folks over at Fox have added a nice little bundle of content that should hold you over until the release of the collector's edition next month. Features include deleted scenes, screen tests and excerpts from the documentary.
Interestingly when I load the Avatar disc in my Sony BDP-500 it allows access to BD Live content but when I put the disc in my other player (Sony BDP-550) it does not load the downloadable content from the internet. Anyone else experience this?

Cobra
Old 10-28-2010, 02:38 PM

The second Narnia movie has access to quite a wealth of BD-Live content, mostly behind the scenes features. However, these were available shortly after the movie came out on disc, so its not as spectacular as this. But what I am trying to say is that its not the first time a studio has used the technology in this fashion, which is sad, because it is one of the best uses of the technology that I have seen. Certainly much better than downloading trailers off the internet as soon as you stick the disc in.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
it is one of the best uses of the technology that I have seen.
I don't think its a good use of the technology at all. This sort of stuff used to simply be included. Now you need a certain profile player, connected live to the internet, and get to wait for a download.

The best use I've heard of are those rare examples where you get to watch the movie shortly after release together with the director and listen to his comment live as you are all watching the movie together. THAT's awesome.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 PM

But that's a one off kind of event. What about those who buy the disc months or even years after its release? They pay the same price (list anyway) but don't get the event you've described. Basically a live commentary is just like any broadcast TV program. It is on at a certain date and time but only for those who can tune in at that certain date and time. For the rest little or nothing.

So far I've been underwhelmed by BD-Live. It looks for the most part just like another advertising channel for the studios.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I don't think its a good use of the technology at all. This sort of stuff used to simply be included. Now you need a certain profile player, connected live to the internet, and get to wait for a download.
In this case the "stuff" didn't exist when the disc came out. This is absolutely the best type of use of BD-Live.

Chronicles of Riddick got a new commentary via BD-Live, which was totally awesome, it just asked me to update and now it appears on the main menu. That's exactly the way that BD-Live should be used. All the group screenings, trailers, etc are just like the BD-ROM content that was generally not worth installing the software on your PC for.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
In this case the "stuff" didn't exist when the disc came out. This is absolutely the best type of use of BD-Live.

Chronicles of Riddick got a new commentary via BD-Live, which was totally awesome, it just asked me to update and now it appears on the main menu. That's exactly the way that BD-Live should be used. All the group screenings, trailers, etc are just like the BD-ROM content that was generally not worth installing the software on your PC for.
I agree. Getting us MORE content AFTER the fact? Pure awesome. That's what BD Live SHOULD be used for.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
I agree. Getting us MORE content AFTER the fact? Pure awesome. That's what BD Live SHOULD be used for.
Totally agree. And as for the Director Commentary broadcast, they usually archive those. The Harry Potter movies did this with like the chat transcript or whatever they did with the stars. And I think Star Trek updates daily with news stories from Nasa.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobravenomous View Post
Interestingly when I load the Avatar disc in my Sony BDP-500 it allows access to BD Live content but when I put the disc in my other player (Sony BDP-550) it does not load the downloadable content from the internet. Anyone else experience this?

Cobra
Ok I was able to find my own problem. Went to play "Expendables" this weekend and it would not load on my BDP-S550, but it would play fine on my BDP-S500. I removed the external flash drive and connected it to my computer and I got a "corupt file" message. I then reformated the flash drive and inserted it into the BDP-S550 and my problems were resolved. Now I can see the extended clips for Avatar and it played Expendables perfectly. (Just in case anyone else stumbles onto the same problem)

Cobra

Last edited by Cobravenomous; 11-29-2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling mistake