'The Patriot' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-03-2007, 02:19 PM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Patriot' - High-Def Digest review

Just in time for American Independence Day comes Kenneth's review of 'The Patriot (Extended Cut). Kenneth says this Blu-ray edition is a winner, turning in an "almost perfect" video transfer and a "spectacular" five-star uncompressed sound mix. The only disappointment is a few dropped supplements from earlier DVD editions.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/patriot.html
Old 07-03-2007, 02:30 PM

Dahh, I just searched the forum to look at early reviews and here it is!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:37 PM

I am planning on watching this tomorrow along with Born on the Fourth of July on HD DVD. It is great being format neutral.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It's frustrating to see three foreign language tracks and more than two dozen subtitle options taking up valuable disc space that might have been used to give consumers more bang for their buck.
You may blame the use of PCM instead of Dolby TrueHD but, please, don't blame foreign language tracks. These are using only 2Mbps. Is the BD-50 full?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisto View Post
You may blame the use of PCM instead of Dolby TrueHD but, please, don't blame foreign language tracks. These are using only 2Mbps. Is the BD-50 full?
No blame given -- unfortunately, even though they only use 640 kbps, that's over the course of a 165 minute film. Each foreign language track ends up taking a significant portion of disc space. When you consider that one of the major features missing from previous releases is an audio commentary track, it seems reasonable to drop a less-requested foreign language track (like Czech or Polish), keeping the commentary, and still retaining more-requested language tracks like the French mix.

And Uncompressed PCM tracks sound too good -- I would never exchange one of them for more features!

I assume the BD-50 is full if features were left behind -- otherwise, their absence is an entirely different problem that would frustrate me even further.

Thanks as always for posting. I hope this clarified my opinion!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:24 PM

Greeeeeeeeeeeatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
Old 07-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
And Uncompressed PCM tracks sound too good -- I would never exchange one of them for more features!
Amen, my brotha! I'm gonna have to use that quote in my sig.

I don't think that the BD-50 would be full. Pirates 1 was 2 1/2 hours with 24-bit uncompressed audio and healthy AVC video bitrates along with a 640kbps DD English, French, and Spanish tracks along with commentary and another hour (give or take) of high def video content with Scoundrels of the Sea. If they can fit all that on a BD-50, they could have at least squeezed a few more 480i/p supplements on The Patriot.

That's just my speculation. It just gives SPHE the opportunity make more profit off a double-dip down the line. But, personally, I don't have much use for supplements so I'll be more than happy to shell out for this reference audio/visual experience (yet another one from SPHE) and enjoy having it in my BD collection. At least they aren't like Fox and charging premium price for little to no supplements.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Don't quite understand the whole language track problem... Why don't they just burn/press four versions of the film, one for each language or even two versions? I mean they have region coding anyway right? I understand the cost implications but surely having four/two versions in existence wouldn't cost that much more? I personally think we'll see this film released as a special edition at a later date...
Old 07-03-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
[...]Each foreign language track ends up taking a significant portion of disc space.[...]And Uncompressed PCM tracks sound too good -- I would never exchange one of them for more features![...]I hope this clarified my opinion!
1) Well, that's right. 2 tr. * 640 kbps/tr. = 1.28 Mbps. 1.28 Mbps * 165 mins * 60 s/min / 8bits/byte = 1.584 Gb. It's not a lot of lost space, but it's enough to contain a few bonus features.
2) I thought Dolby TrueHD tracks were as good as PCM tracks.
3) Yes, your opinion is clearer now! Thanks.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 View Post
I am planning on watching this tomorrow along with Born on the Fourth of July on HD DVD. It is great being format neutral.
I am neutral as well and could not agree with you more. Both these movies are excellent choices for the upcoming holiday. BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY was Tom Cruise best performance, imho. He should have won the Oscar for that one. I will be picking up PATRIOT on Friday.