Why no 50th anniversary blurays for these movies? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-25-2010, 06:23 PM

Default Why no 50th anniversary blurays for these movies?

The following movies have their 50th anniversary this year and have no bluray release as of yet: The Alamo, The Magnificent Seven, The Time Machine and The Great Escape. Where are the 5oth anniversary blurays? Are the studio's really that short sighted as to miss out on the opprotunity?
Old 10-25-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy197905 View Post
The following movies have their 50th anniversary this year and have no bluray release as of yet: The Alamo, The Magnificent Seven, The Time Machine and The Great Escape. Where are the 5oth anniversary blurays? Are the studio's really that short sighted as to miss out on the opprotunity?
Isn't The Magnificent Seven already out or is it just available in a boxset with the sequels. ? I think it's out over here as an individual release.

The Great Escape was 1963.

Spartacus was 1960, now this would be a fantastic year for Universal to re-visit the film and strike a new transfer for blu ray to make up for the last release. I suppose with two months of the year left though there is little hope of that happening.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 PM

According to Robert Harris "The Alamo" was being restored (presumably for a disc release as well as simple preservation) but funding problems caused that project to fall apart.

----------------EDIT----------------

As FoxyMulder said, "The Magnificent Seven" already recieved a lavish Special Edition on DVD and that was ported to blu-ray via "The Magnificent Seven Collection" last... May(?). Regardless it's out and even available in standalone form in the UK. I would expect a single release sometime next year; it will be the exact same version that's available in the 4 film box set right now. Import, wait it out or by the franchise collection - point is the film has seen the light of day on blu-ray.

"The Time Machine" is an MGM film now owned by Warner Brothers. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes it's way onto the format in the next year without much fanfare. Probably remasted with the documentary from the DVD, but not much else. I think the film was even mentioned alongside a bunch of other rumored titles late last year, most of which have materialized.

----------------EDIT----------------

As Foxy said, "The Great Escape" is from '63 so it's not quite time for a 50th Anniverary release. It's also a United Artists film owned by MGM, whose titles are now distributed by Fox. MGM is in a bit of financial crisis so I doubt that we'll be seeing much from them in the coming months until their cashflow problems are sorted.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
As Foxy said,[/COLOR] "The Great Escape" is from '63 so it's not quite time for a 50th Anniverary release. It's also a United Artists film owned by MGM, whose titles are now distributed by Fox. MGM is in a bit of financial crisis so I doubt that we'll be seeing much from them in the coming months until their cashflow problems are sorted.
Actually MGM has increased it's output of catalog titles (with the usual mixed results PQ wise) in the past couple of months. Maybe MGM thinks the more BDs out there, the more the company is worth.

I saw The Great Escape in HD when aired by PBS, the PQ was mediocre.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Vertigo's 50th Anniversary was two years ago. yes, i am pushing it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 PM

It's also Jaws 35th anniversary this year and no bluray in sight.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Former Member

every 5 years it's some films x5th or x0th anniversary. it happens. we don't see re-releases of every film every 5 years, not on dvd, not on any format. we'll probably see anniversary editions of films once they already receive their FIRST blu-ray edition, as their way of forcing a doubledip on people.

i bet i can pull up 300 films having their 20th, 25th, 30th (ahem, Empire Strikes Back, ahem), 35th, 40th, 45th, 50th, and so on anniversary. that doesn't mean that we're going to see them this year. Look at the whole Dumbo debacle. November's calendar is already close to being finished with no more announcements, as January is filling out instead now. it's just what it is. we'll see them eventually, but apparently not this year, on the ones we don't already have.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:07 PM

The Alamo never got restored as another person posted.
It was due to be released already.
sad sad situation.
all we can hope for is that when the MGM mess gets cleared up that they start up the work again.
OP obviously missed that The Magnificent Seven already came out.
(single disc available from HK btw)
as for Great Escape--probably needs a restoration to really get an excellent release; hopefully it's being worked on because I definitely thought it would have been out by now.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Banned

It's the 5 year anniversary of The Pacifier with Vin Diesel and the 10 year anniversary of Battlefield Earth and the 15 year anniversary of Major Payne. WHERE ARE MY BLU-RAYS GOD DAMNIT
Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Former Member

i actually already reviewed THE PACIFIER, on my site. JAPANESE import. yep, it's out in Japan. has been for over two years, now. crazy shit!