'Predators' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Default 'Predators' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Predators' has just been posted. ATTENTION!!! Drew says this movie is underrated and deserves a following on Blu-ray! With perfect video and audio, not to mention tons of great extras (both exclusive and shared with the standard-def DVD), this Blu-ray is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3613/predators.html
Old 10-25-2010, 06:13 PM

I absolutely HATED this film.

Just saying.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM

""The 50GB disc automatically plays, first with a trailer for Robert Rodriguez's iffy exploitation flick 'Machete' (god, if any movie were ever to lose 20 minutes, it would be this)""

What's all this about? Machete was awesome. BTW, Rodriguez will be releasing the film with added footage restored. I hope you don't get the screener, Drew, because you just killed your chances of an unbiased review if you do.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 PM

Bought this on Day 1.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM

Nice review. I'm waiting to hear if the steelbook I'm getting is region locked or not and this makes the wait much harder.

One note though: I think in the paragraph about The Chosen you may have meant "kind of fun, but mostly forgettable", not "unforgettable".

Also, Rodriguez has said Fox gave him the go ahead for a sequel, so your hopes are well-placed.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:36 PM

Loved this movie, its the best Predator movie including AVP besides the original. I look forward to an sequel as there is alot they could explore in the Predator realm.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 PM

I loved this movie as well. In the special features Elizabeth Avilan (sp?) says this film had the same budget as Sin City and I was thinking, "really?".

As much as I loved it I do have a few pet peeves:

- the music: with all the music cues from the original Rodriguez may as well have hired Alan Silvestri to do the score. John Debney is an awesome composer. From my perspective his music was drowned out by the familiar beats of the original

- no love for Predator 2? Somehow some way someone could have brought up the Predator's California vacation from 1999. The whole concept of one or more Predators hunting humans for hundred's of years originated in part 2

Nitpicks really but this is why we geek out over movies like Predators. Outside of the 5 stars for audio, I'm pretty much in total agreement with review (I would've given the audio 4 stars which is probably due to having watched How To Train Your Dragon before watching Predators) .
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Nice review. Disagree with the audio score but am pretty much in agreement with everything else written. Enjoyed the movie a lot, it was cheesy but I do enjoy my fair share of cheesy movies lol.

Also, am in the camp who thought that Brody was miscast at first but after seeing it, thought he did a pretty good job in the lead role imo. I look forward to a sequel.

And someone mentioned Debney. Big fan of his. His best work, imo, is for a game called Lair. Utterly dreadful game I rented from gamefly but absolutely loved the music. Anyway back to topic, while I loved that they stuck with the original music for Predators, I wouldn't mind hearing them come up with an original score for the sequel especially if they get Debney to compose again.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM

Wow, surprising review. This just went from "avoid at all costs" to "definite rental".
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 PM

I saw it in the theater and thought it was alright, I think if they had a bigger budget, the film could have been much much better. To me some of the big set pieces felt rush, hopefully for the sequel, they'll get more money from the studio and can film bigger action scenes.