January 11:
    El Mariachi/Desperado (Double Feature)
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4251...desperado.html

January 4:
    Once Upon a Time in Mexico
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/595/...einmexico.html

Nice!!!!

Here we go, yo!

Weird that they're releasing the 3rd film a week later, which means no boxed set for the 3.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
    Nice!!!!

Here we go, yo!

Weird that they're releasing the 3rd film a week later, which means no boxed set for the 3.
    Works for me. The third one was terrible. I only want the first two.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Gunyaga is offline Member

I thought the third one was OK, but is in a second tier to the two being released on my birthday.

Easy must have

Landy is offline Go Jets Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Works for me. The third one was terrible. I only want the first two.
    Agreed. The third one had so much wrong with it that it isn't funny. Too big for one (bigger isn't necessarily better), Salma Hayek's appearance was awkward and weird, as if she said "I'm only available for one day of shooting, I'm busy elsewhere," and it just strayed too far from being about the Mariachi.

I just noticed that the 3rd film comes out first followed by the first 2 a week later. Okay, that's even weirder.

twonunpackmule is offline Sponsored by Crony

I liked the third one. Mainly for the character that Johnny Depp played. He was probably the only interesting aspect of it. I didn't like how third ranked The Mariachi felt in this one. It was like his presence was an afterthought.

I also think of this film as "The Return of Rourke."
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.

BostonMA is offline Member

the third is my favorite of the three. it's a mess, but a glorious and fun filled one. i won't be buying any of them but glad for everyone else who loves them on here.

personally, i think the next collaboration with RR in Sin City was thee "Return of Rourke". he'd been around shortly before and after OUATIM but didn't fully blast back into the spotlight until he portrayed Marv.

anyways, i hope we get the OTHER much wanted "Once Upon a Time" in the West very soon. i'll be watching it again this week to recharge my batteries for it.

MrAngles is offline Member

This had better be true already. I'm so sick of waiting for these movies.
    RIP Kosty you are missed.

taygan315 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I liked the third one. Mainly for the character that Johnny Depp played. He was probably the only interesting aspect of it. I didn't like how third ranked The Mariachi felt in this one. It was like his presence was an afterthought.

I also think of this film as "The Return of Rourke."
    Same here. I really enjoyed Depp's character in this flick..especially in the beginning. I'm picking up all three of these flicks. Great news.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

darkdaze73 is offline Member

went ahead and PO'ed the first two. Did not care for OUATIM. May give the dvd a rent between now and Jan. and see if my feelings have changed, but I seriously doubt it.

btw MrAngles, speaking of movies I'm tired of waiting on....would love to see the movie you have as your avatar pic released. Man I love that movie.
    180+
    200+
    want list

Elvis_Rambo is offline Member

luv the frist two, Three didnt do it for me, Yea I liked depps charactor, but is didnt live up to the fist two.. Kind of sucked..

MrAngles is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkdaze73 View Post
    btw MrAngles, speaking of movies I'm tired of waiting on....would love to see the movie you have as your avatar pic released. Man I love that movie.
    No kidding! The Coens don't get nearly enough Blu-ray love, and I'm sure O Brother would look and sound incredible, I love the imagery in the film.

As far as opinions on Once Upon a Time in Mexico, it's a mess, and I was very disappointed when it came out, but now I find that I watch it more often than Desperado. It's somehow more accessible, for one thing, it's so episodic and disjointed anyway that it's just as enjoyable or more to watch it in 30 minute to 1 hour segments as it is to sit down and watch the whole thing. Also as someone who studies film, knowing how it was made makes it all the more enjoyable. It's almost like he went back to his roots for Mexico, piecing the movie together from whatever he had available in the short timeframe and small budget that he had. Desperado of course is the better film by far though.
    RIP Kosty you are missed.

dommie is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
    anyways, i hope we get the OTHER much wanted "Once Upon a Time" in the West very soon. i'll be watching it again this week to recharge my batteries for it.
    Amen to that. Forget Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Let's have Once Upon a Time in the West. Classic!

Dr Kain is offline Member

I'm a bit worried. If they are doing a double feature and it is only priced at $20, that means the quality is probably going to be pretty bad, especially for the first one. Still, I'll be buying this on Day 1. It is also strange that they aren't doing it as a trilogy, but that is fine, because I would only own the third one because Johnny Depp is in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast