'Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (Hong Kong Import)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM

Default 'Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (Hong Kong Import)' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance (Hong Kong (mport).' He says this is a must for fans, and the best blind buy he's made this year. This import has strong video and excellent audio. No extras, but that's ok when the feature itself is this strong. An
excellent import.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4232..._hongkong.html
Old 10-24-2010, 08:24 PM

I was trying to write this long and elaborate post about Eva in general and these 2 re-imagined movies. What I'm going to do instead is just try to be blunt and clear to the point and hopefully still get my point across.

Eva is to me is like AKIRA, a classic in every form. To quote Nate "...as the brutal mindfuck that is 'Evangelion' is made a bit more accessible to newcomers" These movies are completely devoid of anything that would even come close as the mindfuckity we have enjoyed plenty of in Eva TV/ EoE. I along with many others were very worried when we hear about this and feared it was going to take away something that made Eva unique. Having seen 2.22 I can honestly say I had no reason to be concerned, it is great to see these characters I'm so attached with not get screwed emotionally until they end up broken. Eva got downright depressing in the latter half the series and I have heard that when Gainax was producing the series that Anno Hideaki wasn't in the best of shape of his life emotionally and the original Eva honestly reflects this. The preview of 3.0 made me almost howl for joy and even though it is a long wait before all four of these are completed, I know it will be worth the wait.

I agree with Nate's review wholeheartedly but given the price of the import it's going to be a long wait before regular anime fans get to see this movie for their first time. Speaking on the matter of no domestic release as of yet, all of our wait is due to Gainax themselves. It's simple to understand their hesitance to give the go ahead for an English dub so quickly after original Japanese release date. When we do get a Funimation release it will probably MSRP around $30-35, that's not even half of the price it's going for right now in Japan. Such a release would quickly undermine the value the un-dubbed release.

All this aside for anyone who liked the original Eva even a little I cannot recommend Eva 1.11/2.22 enough and for everyone else I still highly recommend giving the already released 1.11 a chance and to patiently wait for 2.22. I hope to see the domestic review on HDD again hopefully giving us a 5 star PQ release.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 AM

Iirc, Funimation confirmed that they licensed 2.22 and are planning domestic Blu, DVD, and theatricals but no official release details were given beyond that. Trying to patiently wait for the inevitable domestic release but don't know how much longer I can wait. Will most likely just end up importing it sooner or later.

Hopefully the awesomeness found in 2.22 carries over to the third and fourth films with an ending this time around that won't suck and one that most, if not all fans can be happy with.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:12 PM

I think i'm gonna wait for all 4 to come out before I watch them. It'll probably be a long time, but I dont want to watch half of it now and then watch the rest as it comes out years later.

I still need to see End of Evangelion too. Anybody know where I could find a legit copy for a reasonable price?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Former Member

a good price on end of Eva? nope. that fucker went OOP and has been hovering around 60 to 90 for a new copy. insane.

you can't trust ebay, so loaded with anime scalpers and bootleggers. right now amazon 3rd party used low price is 20 plus 3 ship. not a bad price. you can skip Death and Rebirth, too. completely worthless.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:48 PM

Awesome review! It got me so excited I immediately ordered the bluray with all the extra goodies. The Orange cd did not play on anything because according to the product description it is a blank cdr. I'm guessing so you can burn whatever you want on it. I'll either create my ideal mix cd with my favorite music or burn my favorite pictures of my daughter Avah (Eva) Rei on it, my own first child!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:51 PM

No one has ever answered this question: Why are the Angels attacking the Earth in the first place?

Until that is answered satisfactorily, I'm pretty much still dismissing this whole franchise as pseudo-mindfuck--as in, just doesn't make sense, but then is embellished with a bunch of faux-deep "symbolism" (Biblical, no less!) so people think it's so damn deep they must just not get it.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Id View Post
No one has ever answered this question: Why are the Angels attacking the Earth in the first place?

Until that is answered satisfactorily, I'm pretty much still dismissing this whole franchise as pseudo-mindfuck--as in, just doesn't make sense, but then is embellished with a bunch of faux-deep "symbolism" (Biblical, no less!) so people think it's so damn deep they must just not get it.
Oh that one's pretty damn easy, and the show actually does explain it. in its own fucked up way.

This is all spoiler-zone, and reflects the story that existed in the cartoon SERIES, rather than movies. They may change the workings of this in parts 3 and 4, which are still unseen.

Spoiler
Do you notice that all of the actual Angel ATTACKS are in Japan, over, around or at Tokyo-3?

Beneath Tokyo-3, in Terminal Dogma, lies Lilith, and the tools to create another "impact," the next one being the third. Lilith is the creature impaled on the cross, with the 7 eyed mask over its face, at first seen with the Lance of Longinus impaling her, preventing her regrowth. They are being drawn, called to Terminal Dogma, in essence. That's why they don't want to destroy the city, rather, dig down to get to it, to make contact. If any Angel were to make contact with either Adam (who is reduced to embryonic form after second impact, and that is the odd skeletal item that Ryoji Kaji gives Gendo, which Gendo grafts into his hand) or Lilith (who is constantly being bled out, creating LCL's and Rei-like creatures), then they would instigate third impact. the events of the second impact were caused by Adam, which reduced him to a near-nothing state, as a self defense tool when mankind attempted to capture him after finding him buried in the Antarctic. Ironically, the third impact is also a HUUUUGE part of Seele's/Gendo's master plans, through the Human Instrumentality Project, for them to create the perfect, singular being. WHY the angels want to do this, that's the question, but the reason that they do attack, after their incubation of 15 years, directly relates to Adam and Lilith.

It is entirely possible the revision will give us a different version that makes more sense. Considering Third Impact is barely averted in this film, due to Rei's soul and Unit-01 merging, we have 4 hours to explain the intricacies of Impacts and the HIP.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM

As an (impatient) Evangelion fan and owner of this disc, I agree with this review. As for the video quality, it's not surprising that the video on the HK 2.22 BD (average video bit-rate: 20 mbps) is worse than the JP release (which averages 32 mbps). Still, the rumors are that it won't be until Nov. 2011 for the Funimation US release to come out, so there you go.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Former Member

i certainly hope it doesn't take that long. people need to see this damn film! the rumors i heard were early 2011, but with the redubbing process, i know anything is possible.