'Winter's Bone' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Default 'Winter's Bone' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck has reviewed 'Winter's Bone.' He says this is a great film, one of the best to come out of Sundance 2010. This Blu-ray features very fine video, solid audio, and a few interesting extras. This is well worth a look and highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3813/wintersbone.html
Old 10-24-2010, 04:36 PM

I heard nothing but great things from my good friend who saw it during it's initial (very limited) theater run. I will definitely check it out when it becomes available on Netflix.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 AM

YAAAAAWWWWWNNN!

What follows is strictly my opinion only... but Winter's Bone is another example of how unanimous praise and hype can really hurt a film, since I had recently learned of its existence and the glowing reception it had received.
As such, when actually watching the film, I was expecting to be engrossed and moved. Neither would turn out to be the case.

The film is very well acted (although, I think the majority of the cast are playing themselves more than a character), reasonably well written, and (although I don't consider handheld cinematography alone to warrant much parise) it was shot naturally. But none of that can save the story that just seemed to meander to nowhere and had very little happen in its 100 minutes.

Much like Revolutionary Road... it is a film that could be described as well made, but still remains uninteresting. Then again, the other two films I caught up with over the weekend were Jonah Hex and Hatchet... so Winter's Bone was definitely the highlight!

Don't expect too much going in, and perhaps you will have a better time with it than I did.

2.5/5
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
YAAAAAWWWWWNNN!

What follows is strictly my opinion only... but Winter's Bone is another example of how unanimous praise and hype can really hurt a film, since I had recently learned of its existence and the glowing reception it had received.
As such, when actually watching the film, I was expecting to be engrossed and moved. Neither would turn out to be the case.

The film is very well acted (although, I think the majority of the cast are playing themselves more than a character), reasonably well written, and (although I don't consider handheld cinematography alone to warrant much parise) it was shot naturally. But none of that can save the story that just seemed to meander to nowhere and had very little happen in its 100 minutes.

Much like Revolutionary Road... it is a film that could be described as well made, but still remains uninteresting. Then again, the other two films I caught up with over the weekend were Jonah Hex and Hatchet... so Winter's Bone was definitely the highlight!

Don't expect too much going in, and perhaps you will have a better time with it than I did.

2.5/5
Thanks for the heads up. I too struggle with these overly-glowing recommendations and then when you finally sit down to watch the films you have such high expectations that you usually end up disappointed. Im going to rent it either way but at least you've thrown some reason into the mix.

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:18 AM

I was pleased to see this at Redbox as an available rental. Not the usual fare...and I went in not knowing what to expect so I was ultimately pleased (but certainly not blown away).
Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

There are only a few 1080P and 480i extra features on this single layer Winter’s Bone Blu-ray. Most of the bonus features use 720P at 59.940Hz and 23.976Hz. I was surprised that some of the bonus material was in 720P at 23.976Hz. Either the bonus features were shot at a native 720P or in order to save disc space 720P at 24hz was used instead of 1080P at 24Hz. If it was a space issue a dual layer disc would have solved the problem.

The review incorrectly says that the “Making of ‘Winter’s Bone” is SD. In reality the “Making of ‘Winter’s Bone” is in 720P at 59.40Hz (video based material). The review incorrectly says that the “Alternate Opening” is in SD. In reality the “Alternate Opening” is 720P at 23.976Hz (film based).