'The Maltese Falcon' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2010, 07:22 PM

Default 'The Maltese Falcon' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Maltese Falcon' has just been posted. El Bicho says this is the stuff that movie dreams are made of. This Blu-ray features excellent video, solid audio, and plenty of good extras. Highly Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/296/maltesefalcon.html
Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM

I'm a huge Bogart fan -- he IS "badass" incarnate -- and I love 'Maltese Falcon.'
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM

wow i'm extremely discouraged with this review.

El Bicho, nothing personal, but like your review for 'Mona Lisa' this is almost entirely plot summary, with some background information for good measure, and the very small amount of actual film criticism in the review doesn't even come close to giving the masterpiece the dedication and perseverance it deserves.

i don't mean to be upsetting but i'm sorry, i am sorely disappointed with my favorite film review website's review of this movie.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 PM

These past few weeks have killed my wallet, the next few months look the same OUCH!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
wow i'm extremely discouraged with this review.

El Bicho, nothing personal, but like your review for 'Mona Lisa' this is almost entirely plot summary, with some background information for good measure, and the very small amount of actual film criticism in the review doesn't even come close to giving the masterpiece the dedication and perseverance it deserves.

i don't mean to be upsetting but i'm sorry, i am sorely disappointed with my favorite film review website's review of this movie.
I agree. Too much about the plot and very little about why it is a great film classic.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 AM

I finally found this movie as B&N finally got it in. I haven't watched it yet, but I cannot wait to get to it next month (right now it is all horror movies). I saw this movie for the first time in 2008 and could not believe how great it was. However, I must say, I am sorely disappointed. Out of all of the movies WB releases as a digibook, this should have been one of them. I used to hate digibooks, as if the book gets damaged, there is no way to replace it, however, they are so full of information and interesting facts about the movies I wish every movie came that way.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:58 AM

Really looking forward to getting this! Always loved it... Think my DVD has most of the same extras, but this is going to be worth it just to see it in HD! Like Casablanca, there's something even more entrancing about older films that can still look this good, considering their age.

Just need Key Largo next! :-)
Old 10-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
I agree. Too much about the plot and very little about why it is a great film classic.
thank you for your agreement. hopefully, it'll go towards making progress to a solid resolution or result on here.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:04 PM

I will be killed for saying this: but I have seen this movie twice already and still dont see why it is extra-special.
It is a decent movie for sure. Maybe third time will be the charm :-)
Old 10-21-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
I will be killed for saying this: but I have seen this movie twice already and still dont see why it is extra-special.
It is a decent movie for sure. Maybe third time will be the charm :-)
For one thing, it's one the first movies of its kind. It basically defined the hard-boiled private-eye genre. Even though the story had been filmed a couple of times before, it was not done in the style that Huston used.

It's a movie of many firsts. First film directed by Huston, first 'A' movie good guy starring role for Bogart which led to many more starring roles-often based on the template set with The Maltese Falcon. Because the film has been imitated so often through the years, one looks at it now as nothing new or original. As a viewer, one has to try to forget what has come since and concentrate on how this was a new thing back in 1941. The subtle cynical humor of Falcon would carry over in all the great private eye flicks that follow. The "when a man's partner gets killed; you're supposed to do something about it" plot was the staple of many films and novels that came after. I can't reveal more good points without spoiling it for others.

It's kind of like watching the original King Kong. Movies about giant monsters tearing up cities have been done countless times now. They have even been done with much better special effects and actors. But to make a film about a giant ape that looked convincing in 1933, and then have him climb the newly completed Empire State Building had people wetting their pants. Sometimes you just have to look at the originality of something for its time to truly appreciate it.

Also, I think we have reached a point in movie making where everything has to be spectacular for the audience to feel they got their money's worth. By today's standards, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Casablanca, To Have and Have Not would not be released as first run movies. They'd be TV movies at best. Even though the stories and characters are interesting, people would say "was that it?" at the end. One reason I am not that into modern movies is that "they don't make 'em like this anymore". We also don't get quality dramas of the sort the stars like Bette Davis starred in. Classics like The Letter and Now, Voyager would be strictly Lifetime fare. But back in the 40's, even men went to the movies to see those films.