'Superman/Batman: Apocalypse' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-20-2010, 12:08 PM

Default 'Superman/Batman: Apocalypse' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Superman/Batman: Apocalypse' has just been posted. El Bicho says he likes ladies in sexy, skimpy outfits, but this in nuts! Even HE says enough is enough! This Blu-ray features solidly average video and audio, and a smattering of extras. Rent it. For fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3655...pocalypse.html
Old 10-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Wow, I highly disagree here. Especially as a Rent for Fans. Comic fans will know that they tried to imitate the art style of Michael Turner in the movie, which I thought they did well. I never read this in comic form, but am familiar with Turner's other work and art style, and they were able to pay great homage to him in how they animated the characters.

It sounds to me like the reviewer was so caught up in the skimpy outfits (part of Turner's style) that he missed the story. Darkseid is one of Superman's greatest enemies. He's not only strong, but intelligent as well. The battles between them are so much more brutal, because they both can take it.

I don't think it was as good as Under the Red Hood, but on par with Superman/Batman: Public Enemies. I personally would say that fans should buy it, and a rental for everyone else.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 PM

I think this is the single most pathetic review this site has ever published. Weeks late, 6 short paragraphs long, and half of them purely focused on what amounts to the late Michael Turners art style for females (seriously, read the original damn graphic novel and tell me the art in print isn't pretty much the same)? The other half wasn't even a review, it was actually just an overview of the first few acts. What a waste of bandwidth. HDD, don't give this guy any more important releases if you wish for this website to maintain any kind of standards.

If anyone wishes to read an actual review of this film by which they can help make an informed purchase, I advise you to check out newsarama, Comicbookresources, or any other various a/v sites that bothered to cover this weeks ago.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 PM

this was right up my alley. i've never read any comics, my only exposure to this universe is all based on the many animated counterparts. obviously with a big focus on all the Bruce Timm stuff. so i totally loved this movie, i also loved and own Public Enemies so i knew i'd likely enjoy it.

i agree with the reviewer, there's not much story and its practically just fight after fight but hey...that works for me. its a cartoon so i wanna see stuff they cant or will never do in live action. the animation was really good and the fight choreography just improves with every movie they make.

and having the original voices is a nice plus for Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. and of course since i never read the comics, these stories are all new for me so i can watch and enjoy them without any baggage or expectations.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:15 PM

I just don't get why DC/Warner Animation takes some of the crappiest stories and turns them into these straight to video animated movies and believe me, "The Girl from Krypton" is about one of the worst out there. I'll give it a rent but that's about it. redbox or Netflix streaming. One of the two.

I would be happy as a clam if one day Ten Nights of the Beast makes it as an animated film.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Skimpy outfits and great racks? I'm in!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Mentallo View Post
I just don't get why DC/Warner Animation takes some of the crappiest stories and turns them into these straight to video animated movies and believe me, "The Girl from Krypton" is about one of the worst out there. I'll give it a rent but that's about it. redbox or Netflix streaming. One of the two.

I would be happy as a clam if one day Ten Nights of the Beast makes it as an animated film.
Are you kidding me? Batman/Superman: Supergirl was the last actual good story for that comic line. Afterwards, the series went down hill into crapsville with stories that were too convoluted with lackluster endings (or no real climax at all).

Anyway, the reviewer does not know anything about this storyline. It is pretty much the same as the comic, and except for the fact that I hate the new voice for Darkseid and the change of the ending, this movie rocked. Any time we get Apokolips on screen is a good time.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:33 PM

I loved this movie. Super heroes and superheroines have always had huge muscles and big tits.Not sure why this movie would be any different.
Their fanbase wants it so they produce it. It might be amusing to see cartoons like this with 'ordinary' body types and a fat wonder woman fighting in a sweatsuit but it wouldn't sell for long.
I thought the story was excellent and welcomed the inclusion of big barda and apocolips.
This film actually had more of a feminist slant than most of the comic book stuff because they had the story partly in themiscyra.
If any film of theirs deserved to be criticized for the way they portrayed women it was Batman/Superman;Public Enemies because they turned Power Girl into a naive little wimp.I was disappointed in that.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM

I've never watched any of these DC cartoons. I noticed there's a few of them on Blu-ray. Is there a particular one to start out with (as in a continuation of a story arc)?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Def Steve View Post
I've never watched any of these DC cartoons. I noticed there's a few of them on Blu-ray. Is there a particular one to start out with (as in a continuation of a story arc)?
They are all self-contained stories, and I would start with either Batman: Under the Red Hood or Wonder Woman.