'The Last of the Mohicans' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Default 'The Last of the Mohicans' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Last of the Mohicans' has been posted. E says this is a great film from director Michael Mann. With strong video and audio, along with Blu-ray exclusive special features, this is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3316...emohicans.html
Old 10-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Very good movie, but I will patiently wait for a good $9.99 - $12.99 sale.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:41 PM

Awesome movie. There have been some debates on this one concerning how dark the movie is on Blu-Ray but I thought the review did a great job setting expectations.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:46 PM

Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors and one of his biggest attributes is his one of a kind uniqueness in visual style, and i agree completely with the review for the film; it's an excellent picture, and i'm very relieved with the description of the PQ. i will pick this one up for 100% sure, just when the price dips down just a little further.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM

I got this day one. My favorite Mann film. And he has a lot of great ones. Already watched it twice and the ending action sequence probably 6 or 7 times. Everyone is at the top of their game.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Watched it the other night and I thought the PQ/AQ were quite good. I'm always curious to see the 3 hours version of the film that Mann submitted to the studio since it was supposed to come out in the summer of 1992; Fox forced him to trim the film down to 2 hours and the film was released in the fall instead.

Maybe Mann will do the ultimate director's cut 5 or 10 years from now.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:40 PM

Enjoyed this originally, but later made the mistake of reading the book, which makes you realise how the story has been heavily and needlessly modified to make it anti-english, which the book never was. I don't mean to sound petty or anything, but after reading the book there really doesn't seem to be much of a different explanation for the changes the made, to make Colonel Monroe and Duncan quite reprehensible and dislikeable characters. In the book they were far more friendly and appreciated any help they could get from Nathaniel and the Mohicans.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 PM

I saw this movie for the first time yesterday, and it absolutely blew me away. It is one of those movies that is so good that it makes the rest of the movies in your collection look like absolute crap. I like most of Michael Mann's films, with the exceptions of one or two. Its really hard to believe though, that Last of the Mohicans is made by the same man who brought us the absolutely dreadful Miami Vice.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM

You can justify a 5/5 rating by this one sentence alone... "This movie is directed by Michael Mann and starring Daniel Day Lewis!"

Great review E! This movie is amazing! Was a no-brainer at the $14.99 price tag.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
Enjoyed this originally, but later made the mistake of reading the book, which makes you realise how the story has been heavily and needlessly modified to make it anti-english, which the book never was. I don't mean to sound petty or anything, but after reading the book there really doesn't seem to be much of a different explanation for the changes the made, to make Colonel Monroe and Duncan quite reprehensible and dislikeable characters. In the book they were far more friendly and appreciated any help they could get from Nathaniel and the Mohicans.
The book is not something that can be adapted to the screen faithfully in the modern day and age. Cooper knew absolutely nothing at all about Native Americans and just made everything about them up based on hearsay and 5th-hand tales in the popular culture of the time.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.