Moulin Rouge looks amazing! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-19-2010, 03:52 AM

Thumbs up Moulin Rouge looks amazing!

Got my copy of Moulin Rouge a day early from amazon. Just wanted to tell everyone who's waiting for reviews before buying, that this is one of the best looking blu-rays I've ever seen, catalog or new release. Color is bursting from the screen the whole time. No DNR, grain is exactly how it should be. Didn't know that it was a remaster supervised my Baz Lurhman and his colorist. I knew it would look good, but I wasn't expecting this. It's a must-have if you're even a partial fan.

I don't have an audio setup, (not much of a sound guy), so I can't speak to that.

The only drawback is how they handled the old dvd features. Instead of uprezing to fill the screen, the kept them 480p within a 1080p frame. So it's surrounded by a huge decorative border, and the actual video fills a third of the screen. Odd, bad choice. If you were viewing this on a 32" screen, I'd imagine it would be like watching on a 13" TV.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 AM

Cool. Ive never seen this movie, but it got great reveiws. Looking forward to buying this.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Ugh, didn't want to rebuy this....might make myself now...dammit csista!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:40 PM

I also just got mine and while I only played the first 20 minutes, it looks fantastic and sounds great too. Can't wait to watch it all the way through tonight with the lights down and the volume up!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM

Yeah, it's a reference disc. *cough check my sig cough*
Old 10-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Yeah, it's a reference disc. *cough check my sig cough*
Completely agree! Its AMAZING! Shoot, I had the DVD of this, and a 1080i version from a few years back from an HDTV rip, which looked good, but this.... WOW!!!! And I am usually not a huge fan of film grain, but this is BEAUTIFUL! The film grain deffinately adds a personality to the film - especially the scenes where he is typing on his typewritter - beautiful grain, you can see the texture of the paper, the beauty of the typewritten text. This movie has always been a visual feast, but this release has blown everything else away!

The DVD already had a REALLY good DTS encoded soundtrack, and I did not find a HUGE benefit from the upgrade to HD audio - except maybe for a bit more clarity in the LFE. Still sounds incredible though.

Totally agree with the comment on the extras - someone was smoking CRACK! They did the exact same thing on Romeo + Juliet.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Moulin Rouge kind of sealed it for me when they featured I Was Made for Lovin' You by Kiss. Tre cool.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:32 AM

I watched this last night and YES. WOW. My jaw was on the floor several times.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 AM

Not sure if this is already posted but Moulin Rouge is $17.99 at FoxConnect.com and with the CART10 coupon for 10% and free 2 day air shipping, this is a no brainer. I will post other items that this coupon is applicable in the Bargains and Sales forum.

http://www.foxconnect.com/blurayblowout
Old 10-21-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash333 View Post
Not sure if this is already posted but Moulin Rouge is $17.99 at FoxConnect.com and with the CART10 coupon for 10% and free 2 day air shipping, this is a no brainer. I will post other items that this coupon is applicable in the Bargains and Sales forum.

http://www.foxconnect.com/blurayblowout
Thats slightly better than what I got it for - $18.49 on Amazon, and I had Amazon Prime, so I got it the day of the release.