'Grindhouse: 2-Disc Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Default 'Grindhouse: 2-Disc Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed the 'Grindhouse: 2-Disc Collector's Edition.' As of now, Blu-ray is the only way to see the original and best cut of the film. This Blu-ray features strong picture and plenty of extras, but it falls short on the audio. Still, this one is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3723/grindhouse.html
Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 PM

I think the supplements should have gotten a higher grade, Josh. IMO
Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Yeah, that looks like a nice bundle of supplements. I love it when B-r's are packed to the hilt with extras. Nothing more disappointing than eagerly awaiting a release and getting almost nothing extra with the movie ("Taken," for ex).

I DVR'd this original cut (w/trailers) on Encore. I'll stick with that, as I didn't love these/this.

Last edited by Hunk Golden; 10-18-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
the way our system works, the HD-X are like an add-on to the regular supplements section, a score independent from the rest of the extras. site aggregators like Cinema Squid will add both sections up and interpret it as a 10/10.

hard to go higher than that, G.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
the way our system works, the HD-X are like an add-on to the regular supplements section, a score independent from the rest of the extras. site aggregators like Cinema Squid will add both sections up and interpret it as a 10/10.

hard to go higher than that, G.
Thanks for clarifying, Nate.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM

I am glad that I bought this.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:16 PM

i never saw this in theaters but our movie channel aired the whole 3hr theatrical version. it was a neat and fun experience but i found Death Proof sooooo boring it dragged out the experience. i almost wish it would have played first because Planet Terror was so much fun and over the top. but it was a neat experience nonetheless but not something i feel i wanna own or see again. thats why i bought the individual release of Planet Terror as it was all i needed or wanted.

but its very cool that those who did like the whole thing finally get to own it. i get that the movie flopped but there was no excuse to not release a complete version along with the individual ones when they were first released. though you gotta feel bad for the dvd buyers.

the review mentioned canada released it on dvd but this was another Alliance release which likely means the disc only contains the movie and nothing else. they's suckered many people with these canadian only releases.

EDIT: i stand corrected, they actually released the full on 2 disc special edition for the canadian dvd, color me surprised and man, the blu-ray is really cheap too.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
While there's a lot of supplements, most of them are very short and very fluffy. I have to grade for quality as well as quantity.

Also, be sure you take the separate score for HD Exclusive extras into account.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:32 PM

One of the few times that my avoiding of theaters has burned me by not being able to see them the way that they should be until now. I just love that they're finally complete and all original now.

Yeah they could've easily not included most of these extras, I'm happy they decided to retain pretty much all that was on the individual releases. It was tempting not to buy those all this time, so I'm really glad they made my waiting worth it. I love them both, but I do agree that for energy sake it might've worked better with the order of them swapped.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
While there's a lot of supplements, most of them are very short and very fluffy. I have to grade for quality as well as quantity.

Also, be sure you take the separate score for HD Exclusive extras into account.
Gotcha, Josh.