'A Scanner Darkly' (2010 Release) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Default 'A Scanner Darkly' (2010 Release) - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of the 2010 reissue of 'A Scanner Darkly' (2010 Release) has just been posted. El Bicho says this is still an interesting and unique tale of drug abuse. This Blu-ray features outstanding video, somewhat quiet audio, and one less extra than the 2007 edition. If you're interested, try to find the 2007 edition.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4110...rerelease.html
Old 10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Former Member

ya'll have no idea how much i wanted a re-release w/ lossless audio.

this right here, who are they fooling? no one who owns it will rebuy. obvious. those who haven't are now told to find the older edition. obvious.

why did it have a press release alongside the rest of the sci-fi wave if it's just the same damn release only MINUS a feature? they really screwed the pooch here. thank you, WB, for helping me save money towards other titles, you know, catalogs with lossless audio. i love those.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Former Member

El Super Bicho- I love this film too, but I cannot, absolutely cannot ever finish it in a single sitting, much like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Too random for its own good, a bit too slow considering the things being shown. Kinda works against itself. Great, great job by RDJ, though. My lord, he was awesome.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:26 PM

I'll be keeping my original HD DVD release.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 PM

As the 2007 BD is only a single sider, and with only 15GB used at that, why did they need a dual layer now?
Old 10-17-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
I'll be keeping my original HD DVD release.
Same here. Sucks because I was hoping for a new blu with a lot more special features and obviously lossless audio. Oh well, win some, lose some.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:30 PM
HDD Contributor

It's seems odd that they would have lost the licensing to one feature alone.

I don't have the problems you do, but I realize I am in the minority in terms of my love for this film. It really captivates me. I find it one of the better films of Dick's work (Hold on, Blade Runner fans) in bringing his ideas and themes to life.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 AM

Love this film.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 AM

I also love the movie. I am a fan of Dick's books and none was made into a movie that was true to the story. Sure Blade Runner is a legendary movie and I love it, but if you read the novel you will see that they only have the basics in common and are extremely different.

A Scanner Darkly was very close to the book, which is great in this case! Fantastic movie, but it is surely not for everyone - same case with the dark and crazy novel.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM

Agreed, this is the best Dick adaptation, the vignette approach working to both ingratiate viewers into the characters lives and alienate them from the world (departing from the typically plot-heavy movie formula to create this feeling of separation from the typically more fluid viewer-film interaction). And the ending, for me, is incredibly emotional.

I would really like to see the live action version of this, regardless of whatever details might be missing from the image, not because I think it would be better, but because this is one of those movies I just want to see more of. I would hope some future release would include the pre-rotoscoped footage, preferably edited to match the film.

While I don't have the same issue as Project-Blu with regard to watching this in spurts, I like the comparison to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas because both are made stronger by the punctuations of relatively peaceful, eye-of-the-storm scenes wherein the leads narrate text from the book, in both cases lamenting the loss of something that may or may not have ever really existed.