'American History X' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-15-2010, 02:30 PM

Default 'American History X' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'American History X' has just been posted. Nate says this is a powerful, masterful film. This Blu-ray features excellent video, average audio, and a few worthwhile deleted scenes. Based on the movie and the quality of the video transfer, this Blu-ray is
highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2014...nhistoryx.html
Old 10-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Awesome review. Can;t agree more about this film, it's structure, and it's impact.

It's one of those films that you wish more people could be like, honest and to the point.

I understand why it can be a tough one for some people to watch, but having seen some of the stupidity associated with this particular "cause," and the outcomes for those that bought into it, in real life, I think this is an abosulately awesome portrayal
Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM

Nate's right about the deleted scenes, they are fantastic and highly recommended.

I have the DVD and am hesitant to jump on the BD version. This is one of those films where I'd kill for a double dip, if only to have (more) supplements worthy of the feature. Maybe a poor choice of words, considering the content, but my point remains!

Good review: a nice handling of the heavy tones but also keeping things breezy with a sprinkling of light humour. I'm very glad you touched on this movie's polarizing effect, not only due to its intensity but also its politics.

While I tried to keep this next point spoiler-free, I've marked it just to be safe:

Spoiler
It is scary to think that both 'sides' are covered in American History X, from beginning to end. I agree that there may be those who feel the movie justifies their hate -- which, as the movie shows, only results in an endless cycle of violence. These people would have missed the point. The fact that the movie doesn't completely discount this possibility, however, is a testament to its power, impact and, in my view, honest handling of its material.

To segue, the material isn't the only powerful aspect of this movie: the cast (yes, even Fairuza Balk ) is superb. There are few roles and scenes in the entire runtime where I can even slightly envision another actor's portrayal. As Rogert Ebert wrote in his review for Secretary, "There may be better actors . . . but for this material, I cannot think who they are".
Old 10-15-2010, 04:36 PM

hey, that fat guy in the one photo is Ethan Suplee from My Name is Earl, i forgot he was in this. lol
Old 10-15-2010, 05:08 PM

re: your spoiler, hoju, that is exactly what I mean about honest handling of the material. The movie realizes the impact (or not) that the subject matter can impart, and stays straight throughout rather than falling victom to the pandering to a specific point we see all too often
Old 10-15-2010, 05:47 PM

The reviewer states that it is in color during the modern times which is wrong. The reason those scenes are in Black and White is because this is how Derek sees the world. It only goes to color when he sees the world as it is and no longer in black and white. It has nothing to do with time. Other than that, a solid review and I agree that we need a special edition.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Former Member

thanks the merge.

to be fair...what we see in flashback IS black and white, it's the cold hard facts. we see what led to the incarceration, and the time in prison. there's no real "analyze and interpret" (to quote the film's computer screen) moments. what we see is what we get. it is in the past. it is what shapes the characters in the color moments. it *is* the past. your analysis/take on how they handle that, one can see it that way, too. honestly, i don't look at film that way. when i watch the film, i see it as a way of separating timelines, making the film more coherent to those who may get lost otherwise. it's an effective tool, no matter how one interprets it.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
thanks the merge.

to be fair...what we see in flashback IS black and white, it's the cold hard facts. we see what led to the incarceration, and the time in prison. there's no real "analyze and interpret" (to quote the film's computer screen) moments. what we see is what we get. it is in the past. it is what shapes the characters in the color moments. it *is* the past. your analysis/take on how they handle that, one can see it that way, too. honestly, i don't look at film that way. when i watch the film, i see it as a way of separating timelines, making the film more coherent to those who may get lost otherwise. it's an effective tool, no matter how one interprets it.
It is the past, I'm not denying that. This is how he views the world in black and white so there are many interpretations. I was just pointing out how I saw the style of the film. This is the Ed Norton cut. I would love to see the director's cut.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Former Member

honestly, i'd love to see other cuts of the film, too (though i would find it somewhat hard to improve upon near perfection), but damn it if i'd rather get some real documentaries on the film. fan favorite. sold a SHITLOAD of dvds, and will sell more than a few blu-rays this format cycle. nearly automatic recommendations on any format. it's kinda shitty when we get digibooks for GOODFELLAS, but films needing some real attention they've never had like this get nothin' but ports.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Excellent review for an excellent film. Kudos