'Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - Season 8 (Motion Comic)' is coming January 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Default 'Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - Season 8 (Motion Comic)' is coming January 4

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4203/buffy_s8_mc.html
Old 10-15-2010, 05:35 PM

Is the cast reprising their roles? Anyone know?

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Here is what Wikipedia says to answer your question.
Quote:
Fox Home Entertainment is producing motion comics based on the first 19 issues of Season Eight. The first motion comic was released on Amazon Video on Demand and iTunes on July 19, 2010, with new motion comics being released every Monday.[12] The DVD of the motion comic series will be released January 4, 2011 and will include limited edition Jo Chen packaging and a collectible reprint of Dark Horse Comic's first book in the series.
I can find no evidence that any of the original cast has lent their voices to the motion comic.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:18 PM

i get motion comics as some sorta extra but a whole feature thats one long motion comic? just read the damn comic. or in the "it'll never happen" file, they should make an animated series or mini-series out of it. i could accept "wrong sounding Scoobies" if it meant cool animated action.

hell they could use the girl who did Buffy in the two videogames, she did an uncanny Sarah Michelle Gellar.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:57 PM

awesome! just in time for my birthday!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Is the cast reprising their roles? Anyone know?
From this article at tvovermind.com, a review of the first episode (found from googling):

Quote:
My other major gripe is the voice acting. Unfortunately, while the music is classic Buffy, the voice acting definitely isnít. Retaining none of the original cast, which was to be expected, it seems FOX made little effort to choose voice actors who sounded anything like their predecessors.
I have some credit for Amazon Video on Demand, so I think I'll probably try out at least one episode for myself. I have no problem with comics, but considering that each volume of the comic is ~$10, the blu will be cheaper.

As a related side note, the new (still not HD) complete Buffy series is $70.99 at amazon this week.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM

I was going to get this because I've always been a huge Buffy fan, but did I read correct that this only contains the first 19 issues? The full Season 8 is 40 issues, so this would be incomplete. If that's the case, that's ridiculous. Also, Fox couldn't get the original voice actors? Really? Alysson Hannigan is doing How I Met Your Mother and David Boreanaz is on Bones, but the rest of the cast has really been doing diddly-squat. They could've easily scooped them up for this. I guess saving cash is better than keeping your fans around. Sad.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Yeah, no original cast members, incomplete storyline, and I already own the comics. I'm still going to buy the living shit out of this.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:55 AM

I'd buy it is it were the entire series. I fell off the comic bandwagon around Harmony's reality show. It was good but my comic store closed and I bought a house so I fell way behind.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM

I just finished watching the entire 14-episode BTVS Season 8 motion comic production.

According to this site:

whedon.info/Buffy-Season-8-Motion-Comic-20th.html

Fox is not paying any of the original comic writers or illustrators. The voice-overs are performed by cheap, non-union voice-actors. I suspect that the animation was off-shored to India or somewhere because Xander's eye-patch appears on his right eye half of the time.

For those of us that have not read the comic series, the Season 8 comic Universe is a little disorienting. Without the burden of a FX budget, Josh Whedon has gone way over the top. There are now over 2,000 slayers and most of them have been recruited into the Scoobie's new army/initiative. The new Buffy army has aircraft, sat comms, witch labs and hi-tech control centers. Slayers wear form-fitting body armor and are air-dropped in squads onto targets from helicopters.

Aside from the above, I found the series enjoyable and I may even start reading the comics, starting at issue 15.