'The Human Centipede' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Default 'The Human Centipede' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Human Centipede' has just been posted. Nate says this movie is not for everyone, and the review probably isn't either. Proceed with caution. This Blu-ray has pretty poor video and audio, but some interesting extras. This is for horror fans ONLY!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3754...centipede.html
Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 PM

I'll simply say that content of this nature should either have a guiding purpose/message, or it serves no purpose to be made. That's probably the difference here that is the dividing factor between who sees it as entertainment (or sees it at all) and who sees it as a waste of time as well as offensive and a disturbing commentary on its creator.

To me, a film lacks any sign of art if its creator first thinks of shock value before message. Shock value doesn't have to come in the form of gore, either, so that needs to be stated.

Granted, I haven't seen the film and have only read some about it, but it seems quite pointless for me to view it given my perspective on films like this. I also can say that some gory films I can tolerate, but I find less value in them as I grow older. Violence and gore, to me, aren't entertainment alone, but they can help drive a message or develop the story. Shock value, on the other hand, holds no value at all (in my opinion), and I don't see it as necessary in the art world. But the nice thing is we all are entitled to our own opinion.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 PM

good review Nate, I really want to watch this one.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Wow, I thought for sure Nate would give the AQ/PQ stats a slightly higher grade. I now wonder if the UK version, which is the one I have, came from a different master.

Nate, I actually liked the good doctor's paintings in his home. Those were killer.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Wow, I thought for sure Nate would give the AQ/PQ stats a slightly higher grade. I now wonder if the UK version, which is the one I have, came from a different master.

Nate, I actually liked the good doctor's paintings in his home. Those were killer.
Yes I too was wondering about the comparison between UK and US PQ....
Anyway I thought that the restraint shown on some of the more OTT sequences actually enhanced the film rather than detracting from it. Too many graphic sequences would have overshadowed the fine performances all round, distracted the viewer from sympathising with the centipede, and also appreciating just what a fine performance this really is from Dieter Laser.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:14 PM

I didn't expect the film to have an edge of humor to it. From the trailer, I was expecting a mean-fest along the lines of Martyrs. It get so ridiculous that you have to laugh at it. You never even see their actual orifices attached on-screen (IIRC). Recommended for horror fans!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Dieter Laser reminds me of a really skinny German version of Christopher Walken.

My favorite line in the film is
Spoiler
"feeeeeeeeeeeeed her, feeeeeeeeed her!"
Old 10-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Former Member

Quote:

why would Nate do that? Nate tough on scores. Nate no give easy A's. Nate makes shit work for their points, their stars. the UK release does come from a different company, but i doubt they used a different master.

if anyone finds any XXL shirts for the 'pede online, holler.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Dieter Laser reminds me of a really skinny German version of Christopher Walken.

My favorite line in the film is
Spoiler
"feeeeeeeeeeeeed her, feeeeeeeeed her!"
my favorite line from the commentary is "this shot was taken from The Lion King."

fucking epic track.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:54 PM

This is one of those flicks that attempts to shock and appal you and alls it does is make you laugh and roll your eyes. Medically accurate. Right. That German dude is pretty bad ass though, what panzer tank did they turn over to find him? He needs to be used in a legitimite film as a bad guy again.

Hilarious.