'The Darjeeling Limited' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Default 'The Darjeeling Limited' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of the Criterion release of 'The Darjeeling Limited' has just been posted. Drew isn't all that crazy about the film, but he says this Blu-ray features beautiful video, solid sound, and an excellent assortment of extras. This isn't for everyone, but for Anderson fans it comes highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3496...nglimited.html
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM

Tried to watch this with the wife and man is it painfully boring.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:51 PM

I'll be picking this up on day one. It's far from Wes Anderson's best work, but I enjoyed it a lot more than "Life Aquatic." Also, yeah, you pretty much need to watch the "Hotel Chevalier" short film in order to get the most out of the movie. There are some nice little side jokes/side plots that can are fleshed out nicely by "Hotel Chevalier."

The sad thing though is...honestly...the best part of this entire movie is every time the Jason Schwartzman characte plays the Peter Sarstedt song "Where Do You Go To, My Lovely." When the use of a song, multiple times, is the highlight of a film, then I guess it could be said that the narrative and characters are a little lacking. I would still give the movie a very marginal 4 though, because I did enjoy watching it.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:56 PM

I really enjoyed this film. I haven't seen it since the film festival circuit. Been waiting for an hd disc. When does this come out?

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:03 PM

i liked this, not as much as tenenbaums though
Old 10-12-2010, 02:06 PM

It's out today.

This is an incredible movie. I think Anderson is an excellent filmmaker and doesn't get the respect he deserves (at least not from the people I'm reading comment from right now). There hasn't been a movie of his I haven't enjoyed. He makes very smart movies.

Side note, since Drew took a jab at 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' (by saying 'Darjeeling was his least favorite live action movie of Anderson's) I'll also comment that 'Mr. Fox' is another fantastic movie.

I can see how some people wouldn't like his movies though... they are different.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:03 PM

^^Iggy, i think you may have misread Drew's review. In the conclusion section, he refers to Fantastic Mr. Fox as "genius".

As for Anderson, he's one of the most divisive directors today. I know people who adore everything he does and I also know people who think he's pretentious and needlessly quirky. I'm still on the fence. I saw most of his movies when i was younger and my taste in movies has expanded considerably so I'd like to re-watch Tenanbaums and Life Aquatic again. I liked Darjeeling, but didn't love it. Would pick it up at a good price down the road.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Anyone know what language this is in? I couldn't even find this info on back of the case. Bought it anyway ($19.99), so I guess I'll find out when I play it.

Also, this is in the good old plastic case like they used to use (before Breathless).

One other thing, Borders still can't use PINs so had to write a check.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
^^Iggy, i think you may have misread Drew's review. In the conclusion section, he refers to Fantastic Mr. Fox as "genius".
My bad. I didn't read the conclusion.

Honestly, now I'm confused. The line "The Darjeeling Limited' is probably my least favorite live action Wes Anderson film" seems a bit out of place due to the fact 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' is Anderson's only non live action film. So why doesn't he just say film?

Sorry... digging to deep into it, not important really.

Of his live action films, 'The Royal Tenenbaums' would probably be my favorite. But I would not give any of his movies less than a 4/5.

/opinion
Old 10-12-2010, 07:36 PM

Is this sentence from the review a typo?
"It's an odd conceit and one that is typically Wes Anderson in its conception ..."
Should it be concept instead of conceit?