Original "True Grit" Coming December 14th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-11-2010, 10:12 AM

Default Original "True Grit" Coming December 14th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG
OMG
OMG!!!!!!!!!

According to "other" sites Paramount is releasing the John Wayne 1969 western classic as a tie-in with the new remake!
I seriously cannot believe this although I hoped it might happen.
FINALLY a late John Wayne Paramount catalog is coming out.
miracles do happen!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Terrific! I hope Paramount doesn't jush rush it out to tie it in with the remake theatrical release and does a decent restoration with it. One of my favorite John Wayne movies.

And the remake certainly slipped under my radar. I'm usually not enthusiastic about remakes, but with the Coen brothers directing, Jeff Bridges as Marshall Cogburn and Matt Damon & Josh Brolin also in it, it might be interesting.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM

F*ck yessss!
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 AM

well I can't say I'm expecting much in the way of a "restoration".
I would have to think it will simply be based on the "newer" dvd that came out when all the other Paramount Wayne films came out again in the mid 2000's.
This one never made the cut in the short lived Centennial Series, and without the remake I certainly would have expected the two films that did get released as part of that series--"Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "El Dorado"-- to come out first on bd.
I just hope Paramount doesn't go overboard with the dnr.
that's the main thing I'm worried about.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
well I can't say I'm expecting much in the way of a "restoration".
I would have to think it will simply be based on the "newer" dvd that came out when all the other Paramount Wayne films came out again in the mid 2000's.
This one never made the cut in the short lived Centennial Series, and without the remake I certainly would have expected the two films that did get released as part of that series--"Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "El Dorado"-- to come out first on bd.
I just hope Paramount doesn't go overboard with the dnr.
that's the main thing I'm worried about.
In checking Amazon, Paramount release a "Special Collector's Edition" DVD in May 2007 that gets pretty high customer reviews, so yeah, the blu-ray will probably be from that Master. Amazon just has a placeholder for the blu-ray, so I signed up to be notified with the release has a firm release date.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:31 AM

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4173/truegrit_1969.html

For the original post if you want.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:38 PM

yeah I think the SE from 2007 is actually the same as the release of 2000.
they just added a few extra features, but I think the transfer is the same.
there have been only 2 truly different releases of true grit on dvd I believe.
the original dvd had that Paramount banner across the top, and was truly wretched.
the second release is from 2000, when Paramount issued new anamorphic transfers of all the Wayne titles that they hold the rights to.
and that's where all their JW films stand as far as transfers EXCEPT for the 2 films that got Centennial releases.
I had a time when I just went crazy in collecting almost the entire JW dvd catalog, and have every Paramount and Warner dvd, and most of the Republic, Sony (Columbia) and Fox titles.
that's a bunch of dvds trust me.
as you may have guessed I'm a big fan also of The Duke.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Well Paramount already stated on their Gladiator recall that DNR and EE are "standard" practice for them so i expect it to be crap when it hits blu ray, lowering my expectations sometimes works and i end up being surprised.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:46 PM

I agree that keeping expectations low for all MGM and Paramount releases is probably the best strategy.
I have been surprised lately with "Platoon" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" so I'm keeping my expectations super low for this title.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise View Post
Terrific! I hope Paramount doesn't jush rush it out to tie it in with the remake theatrical release and does a decent restoration with it. One of my favorite John Wayne movies.
Given the short time between announcement and release, I'm expecting the worst. A potential shame as it is possibly Wayne's most famous role, if only because of his Oscar. Come on Paramount, do it justice.