'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Default 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre' has just been posted. David Krauss says this film is a true classic in every sense of the word. This Blu-ray features gorgeous black and white video, excellent audio, and fantastic extras. This is highly recommended. If you're a fan, it's a must own.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3636...erramadre.html
Old 10-08-2010, 03:30 PM

amazing review Dave, top notch stuff and i thought i could do it, i thought i could hold off and ONLY buy The Maltese Falcon on its release week but nope, after reading the first few sentences of this review i had to quickly hit up AMZ and order the Blu-ray, and i didn't realize how well the supps were handled (since Falcon's were a bit of a letdown) so that just adds to it being a good buy.

PTA knew he couldn't make his masterpiece without homaging one of the great masterpieces of Classic Cinema, and i can't wait to see it again.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Cant wait to see it! my copy is coming today! I have the SE DVD.. Cant wait to watch it in HD!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:53 PM

even the screen shots look awesome
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 AM

I'm 42 and a fan of classic TV but some reason I cannot get into old movies -- I feel very disconnected from them.. they often come off as unintentionally funny or campy (read: overacted).. I wonder why that is? It's very hard to put myself in the mindset of these older production values also.. although sit me down with the Honeymooners or a sitcom of the 50's and I feel right at home. There are a few 'older movies' I truly love like Planet of the Apes (68) and 2001, THX, but these are few and far between.. and nothing I can think of as old as The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.. am I alone on this..??

I do feel like I am missing a lot of what are considered "great movies", but so many of these classics I try and sit through just leave me bored.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 AM

my copy just came in tody, I threw it on to see how much different it looks from the dvd. WoW this looks 3-D what a transfer!!! I'm 37, Blu realy make watching black and white movies worth it. You see differernt shades of grey, shadows.. Yea, I guess once you see so many modern films and become a film buff its just a natural progression to seek out the classics not old movies. A Movie is a good movie or a bad movie regardless of when it came out.. Blu makes that happen by such great transfers. Judge it by its content not its age.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:50 AM

I find its content is generally in proportion to its age.. there is something about old movies (and I have seen several that are considered the biggies) that make them feel empty, like the characters are actually caricatures and not actual people I can identify with.. again this is just my opinion (obviously).. I just don't connect with these movies.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:58 AM

Gonna get this and The Maltese Falcon. Can't wait!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
I find its content is generally in proportion to its age.. there is something about old movies (and I have seen several that are considered the biggies) that make them feel empty, like the characters are actually caricatures and not actual people I can identify with.. again this is just my opinion (obviously).. I just don't connect with these movies.
Have you seen this?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis_Rambo View Post
Have you seen this?
I do not think it matters to that type.

Sure would be nice for a thread for once not have the usual 'old stuff are not good/ cannot not look good' nonsense. I do not go into new movie threads and post new productions are awlful (which almost all are).