'Chuck the Complete Third Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM

Default 'Chuck the Complete Third Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Chuck the Complete Third Season' has been posted. Steve felt this season brought the goods. The Blu-ray release carries over many of the problems from past seasons on BD, including average video and disappointing audio, but things are slightly improved this time around. This is for fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3312/chuck_s3.html
Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Great review! Chuck is easily my favorite show on T.V. right now, and Season 3 was definitely a good season overall....

****MINOR SPOILERS BELOW. SKIP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ ANYTHING ABOUT SEASON 3******

However, I do have to disagree with the statement that this is the best season of the show. I felt this Season was a bit uneven, and it falls just short of matching the perfect BALANCE of humor, action, and family drama that Season 2 had (Season 1 was a bit uneven too, but less so than Season 3). IMO, Season 3 focuses way too much on the action elements of the show, and the humor/Buy More segments are downplayed too much. Season 2, had me literally rolling on the floor laughing my ass off during every Buy More segment, and Season 3 just didn't match that for me. Part of the problem was that they limited the Buy More segments, and part of it had to do with losing some cast members. The lack of the Anna and Emmett characters really hurt the Buy More segments (I'm assuming that these characters were cut for "economic reasons" as I heard the show would have to "cut extraneous characters" to be saved)...and I actually found Emmett to be the funniest of the bunch. For Season 4, I'd really like to see the writers put more focus on that segment of the show again.

I also have to say that I didn't care for how they decided to mix Chuck's personal life, with his spy life. I always thought part of the show's charm was watching how Chuck would juggle being a spy (or actually "non-spy" until Season 3, I know...) with trying to hide it from his loved ones. Season 3, really changes that entire dynamic, and I'm still undecided with how much I like that. In fact, I found that this change in the show's dynamics made for a rather draggy first 6 episodes or so.

Now, on a positive note, I thought Brandon Routh was freaking AMAZING in this season. I know it was billed as a "Guest Starring" role, but he really fit in nicely with the rest of the cast....and he was a perfect foil for Chuck, after the departure of the Bryce Larkin character. I really wish they could keep him around for Season 4. I also really enjoyed seeing Kristen Kreuk, Christopher Lloyd, and Scott Bakula (he is always good, I wish he would be in Season 4 too... Screw the Mom angle...bring back Scott Bakula! *sigh*); along with all the other great guest stars this show always seems to get.

I do have to admit that, despite the first several episodes being "slower" than usual, Season 3 did have some of the best episodes of the show to date. Season 3 was almost like a "tale of three seasons". The first third of the season had some of the worst episodes of the series so far, the second third of the season (leading up to the first "false season finale") had some of the best episodes of the season so far, and then the last third of the season was "pretty good" but I didn't find the "real season finale" to be nearly as good as the "fake season finale." Also, there still wasn't an episode that could equal "Chuck vs. Tom Sawyer" Overall, I would say a 4 out of 5 is a fair score for this season...but that is only because I think Season 1 and 2 are both a 5 out of 5....
Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 PM

It's so disappointing that this show keeps getting meh bluray releases.