'Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Default 'Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Poirot: Murder on the Orient Express' has just been posted. Aaron says this is an enjoyable whodunit featuring the legendary detective. This Blu-ray features video that runs the gamut from divine to quite troubled. Audio is remarkably good. The extras
are okay. Overall, this is recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4013...t_express.html
Old 10-07-2010, 12:30 AM

pretty good review. Although I got my hopes up because I thought it was the 1974 version with Albert Finney. I wonder when that will come out.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbiscuit View Post
pretty good review. Although I got my hopes up because I thought it was the 1974 version with Albert Finney. I wonder when that will come out.
Agreed. Id rather have the one with Albert in it!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM

I never really liked Albert Finney's take on the character. David Suchet is far better, in my opinion. I find his adaptations much more engrossing. That said I guess the 1974 version does have that 'Vintage' feel going for it. Unfortunately this blu ray doesn't even seem to have been announced for the UK yet!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM

David Suchet is the perfect Poirot. None of the others are. That being said, I love the 1974 version. It has a great cast, and a real movie feel. Suchet is stuck with the made-for-tv feel.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
David Suchet is the perfect Poirot. None of the others are. That being said, I love the 1974 version. It has a great cast, and a real movie feel. Suchet is stuck with the made-for-tv feel.
I assume you are talking about the SD Poirot episodes? Going by the 'making of' feature this HD Poirot has a film like quality to it and they put a lot of effort in it.

Too bad PBS did not broadcast in my area like they advertised.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:49 AM

I don't think we even have Poirot on Blu in the UK yet? I've bought every set so if I can't get this in the UK I'll have to buy
Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper200 View Post
I never really liked Albert Finney's take on the character. David Suchet is far better, in my opinion. I find his adaptations much more engrossing. That said I guess the 1974 version does have that 'Vintage' feel going for it. Unfortunately this blu ray doesn't even seem to have been announced for the UK yet!

IMO, Suchet is to Poirot as Jeremy Brett was to Sherlock Holmes. Though Finney is a great actor, I think his Poirot was too extravagant and hammy. I can see why Finney over-did it. A line on the printed page may read "no, no, no, mon ami!" Finney's reading was usually "NO, NO NO MON AMI!"; whereas Suchet will read such a line with emphasis without shouting. Suchet can emphasize Poirot's ego without over-acting.

I think the regular TV adaptations did a good job with the period flavor of the stories; I just did not care for the 16mm look of the show. The later full-length films (such as this one) are shot on better stock and have a more substantial look to them; so I will probably get this Blu. I have most of the regular episodes on SD DVD.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK View Post
IMO, Suchet is to Poirot as Jeremy Brett was to Sherlock Holmes. Though Finney is a great actor, I think his Poirot was too extravagant and hammy. I can see why Finney over-did it. A line on the printed page may read "no, no, no, mon ami!" Finney's reading was usually "NO, NO NO MON AMI!"; whereas Suchet will read such a line with emphasis without shouting. Suchet can emphasize Poirot's ego without over-acting.

I think the regular TV adaptations did a good job with the period flavor of the stories; I just did not care for the 16mm look of the show. The later full-length films (such as this one) are shot on better stock and have a more substantial look to them; so I will probably get this Blu. I have most of the regular episodes on SD DVD.
totally agree with most of this. Although Peter Ustinov over-acted Poirot even more than Finney. In fact, he was downright rude in some movies. Poirot is a perfect gentleman.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman342 View Post
I assume you are talking about the SD Poirot episodes? Going by the 'making of' feature this HD Poirot has a film like quality to it and they put a lot of effort in it.

Too bad PBS did not broadcast in my area like they advertised.
yes, I was talking about the SD episodes. Looks like I need to check this one out.