'Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Default 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)' has just been posted. E says this is a great film and a rare example of a remake that's the equal of its predecessor. This Blu-ray features solid video, very nice audio, plenty of extras, and a DVD. This is recommended and around $10 at the moment!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3752...snatchers.html
Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM

total no brainer bd at $10.
well worth it for this creepy, kind of silly, sci-fi cult classic.
one of the best looking bds of a late 70's films you are likely to see.
I don't know how, but MGM rocked this release plain and simple.
great clarity, but very film-like at the same time.
Whoever did the "new" bd of the original "Predator" could really learn a lot from this release.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Fox could really learn something from this release.
YUP, bought it 2 weeks or so ago!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Whoever did the "new" bd of the original "Predator" could really learn a lot from this release.
Couldnt agree more. This film has an incredibly tense "doom and gloom" feeling that gets worse as it goes along. The random weird noises, the odd music, the scenes with Matthew making the phone calls getting the runaround, my God.... this film is brutal. And to think there are idiots that find Hostel or Human Centipede to be scary...those movies are COMEDIES. Whenever I see a clip for either of those films I hear the theme from Benny Hill playing and just burst out laughing....

Oh, and the ending of this film SUCKS...in a GOOD way.

A must have.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:54 PM

I have to agree with the above, but it's incredibly lame that, as with The Graduate, the commentary is not included with the Blu version of the movie.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevirus View Post
I have to agree with the above, but it's incredibly lame that, as with The Graduate, the commentary is not included with the Blu version of the movie.
Well, considering that MGM can't even leverage enough cash to get another Bond movie filming, ... I guess we should appreciate that they're even continuing to release back-catalog titles onto BD (and with great care, as it would seem from the review & posts above).

I'll have to remember to look for this one next time I'm at BB. I think that the lllast time I owned it was on Laserdisc!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:06 PM

Felt I had to resurrect this old thread in order to post my views on this.

I think the picture quality of this MGM release equals, and in some cases rivals, Criterion releases of the same age as this film. I was thoroughly surprised by the level of detail present in this release, both for close-ups and backgrounds. The picture had a very pleasing cinematic feelt to it, and the grain levels are preserved. I also did not spot any compression problems, edge enhancement or black crush on this high-bitrate (35-40Mbit/s) AVC encode.

Therefore I find it quite puzzling it was only awarded 3.5 out of a possible 5 for PQ. Fox's, now infamous, "Ultimate Hunter Edition" of Predator was awarded 2 in this department (and rightly so). But this fabulous release is, IMO, a testament to how such classics *should* look if done correctly. A case of giving credit where credit is due, I guess..
Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM

I can't even tell you how many times I've been confused between this movie and "The Puppet Masters" because the premise is the same AND Donald Sutherland is in both.