'Forbidden Planet' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Default 'Forbidden Planet' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Forbidden Planet' has been posted. El Bicho says this classic sci-fi film still holds up pretty well. With fairly strong video, very nice audio, and tons of extras, this classic film gets the treatment it deserves on Blu-ray. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/276/...denplanet.html
Old 10-05-2010, 02:51 PM

The important stuff is present in the review, but why so many errors? Don't you guys proofread anymore?

Quote:
"...thanks to the animation wizards on load from Walt Disney."
Quote:
" 'Fantastic Planet' is a classic science fiction film that comes across pretty for its age."

Last edited by yamato72; 10-05-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM

I find it interesting that this did not point to the HD-DVD release, http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/502/forbiddenplanet.html as many of the reviews for movies previously released on HD-DVD do. I understand that they were reviewed by two different people, but just wondering if the Blu-Ray used a different transfer than the HD-DVD version. The only difference I see looks to be that the Blu-Ray offers HD audio (although Dolby Digital Plus is not bad).

Other than the audio, is there any differences between this and the HD-DVD release?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I find it interesting that this did not point to the HD-DVD release, http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/502/forbiddenplanet.html as many of the reviews for movies previously released on HD-DVD do. I understand that they were reviewed by two different people, but just wondering if the Blu-Ray used a different transfer than the HD-DVD version. The only difference I see looks to be that the Blu-Ray offers HD audio (although Dolby Digital Plus is not bad).

Other than the audio, is there any differences between this and the HD-DVD release?
No. It's the same exact video encode down to the kb. And the DTS-HD MA track isn't a drastic upgrade over the DD+ (even though the later was 640 kbps). If you have the HD, I'd say stick with that.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM

This is a difficult title to buy either on-line or at a store. No stores have it. On-line usually sold out or overpriced.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 PM

have it..love it.....lucky enough to get one I guess
Old 10-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamato72 View Post
The important stuff is present in the review, but why so many errors? Don't you guys proofread anymore?
Specs: subtitle Norwegian (either all Nordic subs or none)? This is very unlikely region A as its Warner...
Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leterface View Post
Specs: subtitle Norwegian (either all Nordic subs or none)? This is very unlikely region A as its Warner...
The subtitle list is correct. I agree that it is definitely unusual to have Norwegian subs without Danish, Finnish and Swedish. The disc is indeed region ABC as one would expect, however.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Wonder if Warner will be so kind as to add this to the Red2Blu list. I still can't understand why they won't let me exchange my copy of Bonnie and Clyde in the digibook packing, grrr.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupboy View Post
This is a difficult title to buy either on-line or at a store. No stores have it. On-line usually sold out or overpriced.
http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Plan...6365538&sr=8-1

It looks like its on a slight backorder, but you can still buy it.

If you have an HD-DVD player, you can pick it up used for $8.45 and new from $13.72: http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Plan.../ref=ed_oe_hdd