Blu-Ray release dates and regions. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-05-2010, 02:42 AM

Default Blu-Ray release dates and regions.

What is up with all these titles being released in the UK first? Thats just crap! I have pre-ordered the A-team movie but there is no US release date just a UK one. Its an American movie. Why do they choose to release movies in other countries where it is certain that the consumer will be ripped off and I think I just answered my own question possibly.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 AM

With UK pricing currently as low as it is on a territory by territory basis, the concept of getting 'ripped off' runs from low to non existent.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:05 AM

It's usually a rights issue.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:05 AM

It is interesting though that the UK has a Lethal Weapon box set, a Shrek Box Set and movies like Inception announced already but no sign in the US.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:58 AM

I personally have only ever ordered BD's and DVD's from the US. I discovered one day that if you know where to look, its cheaper to order from the US, and that includes international shipping.

I did see the Lethal Weapon box set also.

I can only guess that its all down to money. How releasing movies in foreign countries saves them money, I just dont know. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker was also released in the UK first. I had to resort to buying domestic for that one. :-(
Old 10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I get greatly irritated by the AMERICAN studios releasing/announcing titles elsewhere first. The product overseas is also usually superior to the U.S. release and often times costs less. Even simple things like the disc itself, the U.S. release is usually dirty in some way right out of the box, the printed side of the disc is often cheesy, single color words, the foreign release looks clean and has full color artwork on the disc, not just the name of the movie.

Even Lucas announcing Star Wars on BLU at a Florida convention but yet the media outlet I hear it from was overseas.