'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 PM

Default 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King' - High-Def Digest Review

Our one-two-three barrage of LOTR reviews comes to a close.

Nate has reviewed the standalone release of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.' Just when he thought a chance had passed, they went and saved the best for last. Quite touching. You must read this one as well

Read our review!
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3624/lord_king.html
Old 09-30-2010, 07:36 PM

I have never understood why this one is considered better than the rest. I had trouble with the ghost army, seemed kinda of unfair to have them as an ally (thinking about it though, they shouldn't have been much help at all, being not phsical). And man does the end drag.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 PM

As soon as I left the theater after watching Two Towers, I started hoping that Jackson would write out the ghost army. No such luck.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 PM

SIR Peter Jackson ;-)

Not sure whether to pick these up, or wait for the full length version?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:52 PM

I'm not touching these. Waiting on the extended and remastered trilogy. No fucking way I am quadruple dipping on LOTR (don't ask)... :P

Now a question - and this isn't to be incendiary for no reason - but how do you guys determine the "Bottom Line" portion? The Two Towers has a 3.5/5 (70%), how does that make it a Must Own title? Personally I think the LOTR movies are absolutely Must Own in one format or the other, but why doesn't the star rating seem to reflect the bottom line? On top of that, knowing that the proper versions will eventually be released doesn't make this a Must Own to me. Don't get me wrong, I love the movies, I think they are each worth at least a 4 to a 5 in the movie itself section, and I think it still stands as the greatest cinematic achievement of all time, but if the Blurays are not up to par in the PQ department and almost everyone buying it will be at LEAST double-dipping, I don't see how it merits such a strong recommendation.

Like I said, I'm not just trying to stir up shit, but I'm genuinely puzzled as to the status of the Bottom Line and how it often doesn't correlate with the star ratings.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Former Member

the bottom line is solely at reviewer's discretion. in this case, since it's lord of the freaking rings, one of the biggest film series ever, it belongs in almost any collection. hence, must own. since one can't just buy 1 film or 2, as it's a 3 part film basically, one long story, that means even the flawed funky disc must be bought if the others merit it.

odd, yes, but it's my recommendation.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Alright, fair enough.

Obviously I agree LOTR needs to be owned on some format. No argument there.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:29 PM

Wow the bass hits hard on this disc.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 PM

I just have to ask this being the theatrical release (as with its two prequels), how in gods name can this be a "must buy" when 9/10 folks who already have the extended dvd box set are going to just wait for the extended bluray versions.

Personally I think these theatrical releases all deserve 1 star and nothing more, quite simply because the whole purpose of bluray is to provide the viewer with the best of what there is to offer from a film, this is an appalling excuse to rake in off the backs of fans.

Please convince me that these versions are worth the money when my player can just upscale the extended dvd cuts quite happily until the extended hi-def series is launched.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugz View Post
Please convince me that these versions are worth the money when my player can just upscale the extended dvd cuts quite happily until the extended hi-def series is launched.
Oh geez, not another one of you that thinks upconverted DVDs look and sound as good as a Blu-ray!!!