'Fringe: The Complete Second Season' - HIgh-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 PM

Default 'Fringe: The Complete Second Season' - HIgh-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Fringe: The Complete Second Season' has just been posted. Drew says this season was a bit of a letdown, but it has its moments, and it certainly hooked him for season three. This Blu-ray has solid video, equally solid (if slightly disappointing) audio, and a nice selection of extras. Rent this first if you're not already a fan.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3311/fringe_s2.html
Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM

Artifacts pop up here and there, and while there are quite a few, you have to be looking for them to find them...

I have to say that both I (admittedly, I have a job involving HD video) and my viewing partner (he doesn't) both noticed this right away. Then we took a look at the episode guide and realized there were more episodes per disc—aha!

The compression artifacts are pretty much a steady presence, but on the other hand a minor one. It's really too bad because the first season looked so great; this doesn't look bad by any means, it's just hard not to mentally compare it. I think this also helps make it look less dazzling than the first, possibly about as much as the change in filming locations; it looks decent, it just doesn't pop off the screen. Still a pretty good transfer overall, just more modestly so.

Good review! We liked this season better than Mr. Taylor, I think, but also found it not quite as good as the first. J.J. Abrams not being a presence didn't faze us much, since he wasn't exactly a leading source of story ideas for "Lost" for most of its length, and we thought the alternate-universe plot developed nicely, but we did find it kind of a slog to get through the long stretch of studio-dictated "standalone" episodes. When the season's good it's very good, but it doesn't seem to have much of a sense of pacing when it comes to whether it's going to be about the overarching alternate-universe plot or not this week. After the third or fourth time in a row that we got an unrelated episode suitable for reruns with a "no really, we're going to get back to this soon" tease in the last minute, it got to be a little annoying.

Otherwise, a lot of fun! It took a while to get there, but the thing with the viewscreen showing Bizarro New York gave me that goose-fleshy thrill all over again. I've got high hopes for Season 3, don't know about you.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 PM

The surround sound was somewhat missing in some areas, some reviews give it a 9 or 8 for audio. I like the sound from Sons of Anarchy or Dexter, here it was hit or miss. Only in some action scenes were the surrounds active. Why waste money on good receivers and speakers when studios don't take advantage of it?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 AM

I really need to give season 2 another chance

I did not like how the first episode went at all and didn't end up following the show after that
Old 10-01-2010, 05:46 AM

I agree with the reviewer that Season 2 wasn't as good as the first season of Fringe; however, the second season had two of the best episodes of the series: "Grey Matters" and "Peter". And the two-part season finale was also great.

I agree that Season 2 was burdened by its own mythology. Any fan of the show knew the truth about Peter's origin from the first season's finale, and its revelation became the main plotline of the second season. The problem was that the show tantalized the fans with tiny little references to Walter's secret, but it was 3/4 of the way through the season before Olivia and soon after Peter finally learned the truth. In the meantime, there were many more standalone "monster-of-the-week" episodes in Season 2 compared to the first, most of which were disappointing, and seemed like unnecessary filler to prolong the Peter mystery.

Despite these criticisms, Fringe is a great show; its disappointing episodes are better than the best episodes of most other shows. Unfortunately, this is a series that apparently only appeals to sci-fi fans. I don't know why mainstream audiences continue to watch all of the dull carbon-copy procedural cop dramas, but won't give Fringe a fair chance.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:48 AM

I love Fringe and i'm looking forward to seeing the second season. Unlike most people i guess i like MOTW eps in
series like this better than mytharc ones.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Season 3 so far has been amazing.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM

IMO Fringe keeps getting better and better. S2 was better than S1 and hopefully S3 continues that trend.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalker84 View Post
Season 3 so far has been amazing.
I'm undecided so far. I'm just holding my breath that this don't go down the mysticism of Lost route, which would be a real shame.