'Bad Lieutenant' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Default 'Bad Lieutenant' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Bad Lieutenant' has just been posted. Nate says Harvey let it all hang out for this one, and it's a career definer, but man, it's not too easy to watch! This Blu-ray presents a fan's only film with video and audio that only a fan could love. Few good extras, but kinda slim. This is for you fanatics out there.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3738/badlieutenant.html
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM

While I understand your complaints against the movie, it is one of my favorite movies ever. Simply because it is so outlandish and exploitative. I view it more as a black comedy than anything else since it is so over the top. Watching Harvey Keitel dance around crying naked while stoned, drunk and high is classic.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Really on the other side of the fence for this film. I think it is a great work of cinematic art. I was going to say I "enjoy" the film, but really, there is nothing "enjoyable" about it. It is dirty, tough, and exploitative to the point where it makes one uncomfortable. But, some times that is what great art is all about.

The scene with him blackmailing the Jersey girls is even more disturbing than the rape sequence because of how damn real it seems.

I saw Herzog's "remake" and didn't like it nearly as much even though it is its own film. For as gonzo as Nic Cage was in it (not as gonzo as I was expecting), the film seemed too mainstream compared to this original. The original is simply too filthy to really "enjoy" whereas Port of Call is just a weird normal movie.

My full review of the film (not the Blu-ray)
Old 09-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Really on the other side of the fence for this film. I think it is a great work of cinematic art. I was going to say I "enjoy" the film, but really, there is nothing "enjoyable" about it. It is dirty, tough, and exploitative to the point where it makes one uncomfortable. But, some times that is what great art is all about.

The scene with him blackmailing the Jersey girls is even more disturbing than the rape sequence because of how damn real it seems.

I saw Herzog's "remake" and didn't like it nearly as much even though it is its own film. For as gonzo as Nic Cage was in it (not as gonzo as I was expecting), the film seemed too mainstream compared to this original. The original is simply too filthy to really "enjoy" whereas Port of Call is just a weird normal movie.

My full review of the film (not the Blu-ray)
watching Harvey Keitel "shoot" his car when his baseball team was fucking up yet again has me in stitches every time I watch it. I cannot stress enough how much I like this movie. It does have a point though as far as redemption for someone as unredeemable as Keitel's character was in the film. But what makes it so damn classic is just how far Keitel goes in his role as the Bad Lieutenant. He is the ultimate scum bag. Much better than the half hearted "artsy fartsy" remake which I found dull and other than Nic Cages character, totally pointless. Just my two cents.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Soundtrack wise, is this the original version with Schooly D's "Signifying Rapper"?
Old 09-29-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Havent seen the original but the Nic Cage version is a masterpiece. You have to watch it high though, thats what it was made for.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elee s View Post
Havent seen the original but the Nic Cage version is a masterpiece. You have to watch it high though, thats what it was made for.
Hehehe...yeah, any movie you need to watch high to enjoy is far from a masterpiece. It is an entertaining movie though.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Hehehe...yeah, any movie you need to watch high to enjoy is far from a masterpiece. It is an entertaining movie though.
Wut?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:10 PM

I've had this for about a month at least. Is this a re-release on October 5th?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmorton View Post
I've had this for about a month at least. Is this a re-release on October 5th?
It's a wide release...it has been a Best Buy exclusive for a while (they got an exclusive window on a bunch of Lionsgate titles)