'The Thin Red Line' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Default 'The Thin Red Line' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of the Criterion Collection's release of 'The Thin Red Line' has just been posted. This is an amazing Blu-ray, we're talking five star video, audio, and extras. A must own. You've just gotta read this review!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3385...inredline.html
Old 09-28-2010, 03:00 PM

Wow, GLOWING review. I've never seen this film but I'm definitely going to look into it now. Just wish it wasn't $30...
Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 PM

I have read that the film grain disappears after 50 minutes and then reappears at the 2 hour mark and is there until the end of the film.

I have also saw some film screencaps which back this up, is this not a case of loving it because it's a Criterion release and maybe a less critical review because of that. ?

Apparently they have squeezed a lot of HD extras on the disc instead of using a second disc for the extra content.

Maybe the other site is wrong, i was actually searching the internet for a review of this film today and came across that info at that site which frankly i don't like to visit these days but some of the screencaps do not impress me and look a little smoothed over.

I know screencaps do not always tell the whole story but apparently at the point of which the film grain goes missing the bitrate also drops below 20mbp/s but when its there it goes above 25mbp/s coincidence maybe and i'm not a bitrate watcher but hmmm if they really have tried to cram HD extras into the disc with the film then maybe something has to give away here.

I hope the review is spot on but i'm going to wait to see if internet land is in total agreement here since i want the film but i'm reading some conflicting stuff.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM

Nice! My copy should come in today or tomorrow.

A perfect score review!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:08 PM

this is a great review Drew but the little "If you want your combat more rah-rah and less think-think, well, there's always 'Saving Private Ryan.'" is in my opinion completely uncalled for. it's one thing to compare and contrast two great films but an entirely different beast to bash the opposite one that you are reviewing in an attempt to drive your point home. also, i found this mistake in the review:

"When you hit "play" on the menu, a small screen pops up that says, and I quote: "Director Terrence Howard recommends that 'The Thin Red Line' be played loud." Not wanting to disappoint Terry, I complied. And was just as blown away by the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio mix."

did you do a double feature of TTRL and Hustle & Flow last night?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post
I have read that the film grain disappears after 50 minutes and then reappears at the 2 hour mark and is there until the end of the film.
i hope that is not true.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
this is a great review Drew but the little "If you want your combat more rah-rah and less think-think, well, there's always 'Saving Private Ryan.'" is in my opinion completely uncalled for. it's one thing to compare and contrast two great films but an entirely different beast to bash the opposite one that you are reviewing in an attempt to drive your point home. also, i found this mistake in the review:

"When you hit "play" on the menu, a small screen pops up that says, and I quote: "Director Terrence Howard recommends that 'The Thin Red Line' be played loud." Not wanting to disappoint Terry, I complied. And was just as blown away by the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio mix.

did you do a double feature of TTRL and Hustle & Flow last night?
He's been looking forward to Law and Order: Los Angeles all week

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslaught X View Post
He's been looking forward to Law and Order: Los Angeles all week
haha i saw the commercial for that and at first became interested but then realized that i am not a fan of Law and Order, no matter how intriguing the cast may be.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Awesome! I can't wait to get this one in the mail. I absolutely loved Days of Heaven and The New World when I blind bought them...so I'm hoping this movie will be very similar in tone to those two
Old 09-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
i hope that is not true.
Me too, i am just quoting from other sources though and maybe it's all fine, i sure hope so as i'd love to buy this but i first want to know it really is as good as it could be.

Memo to Josh ( Yah my standards may indeed be unacceptably high )