HDD Talks Discrete 7.1 DTS-HD MA with POP Sound's Tim Hoogenakker - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Default HDD Talks Discrete 7.1 DTS-HD MA with POP Sound's Tim Hoogenakker

Michael S. Palmer chats with Tim Hoogenakker, senior mixer for POP Sound in Santa Monica, California about the ins and outs of DTS sound mixing.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ogenakker/5476
Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 PM

I don't really mind trailers, per say. Sometimes I let them play as me the wife and the furry children are doing our last minute prep for the movie, you know, getting comfy, finding the blanket, getting snacks. Sort of makes me feel like we are at the theater. However, by gosh if I want or need to get to the main menu, LET ME! It's my movie dern it! One of the latest gimmicks that I thought was cool was when the disc downloaded new trailer content, that was spiffy!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:52 PM

To answer the forced trailer debate, I hate them being forced, why not do like many European blus and make them part of the extras for those who like them, I do enjoy them for movies I haven't seen but not forced. But do I agree about intros like DTS, Dolby and the likes, I always replay them a few times on the very rare discs that do have them
Old 09-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Forced Trailers & Stuff: I'm going to list them all (some expected, some not), in order of loathing (#1 being 'bane of existence')....

12) DTS or Dolby sound-codec trailers.
11) Studio promos/fanfare.
10) Trailers that you can skip completely to the Main Menu with one button press.
9) Trailers that you can skip one-at-a-time to get to the Main Menu.
8) FBI warnings that occur before the Main Menu
7) Legal messages that indicate the opinions expressed on the disc may not be those of the studio that occur before the Main Menu.
6) FBI warnings that occur after you've pressed play (and have already seen along with the forced trailers at the beginning of the disc)
5) Legal messages that indicate the opinions expressed on the disc may not be those of the studio that occur after you've pressed play (and have already seen along with the forced trailers at the beginning of the disc).
4) Trailers that you have to fast-forward (cannot track-skip) to get to the Main Menu
3) The disc immediately going to playback and NOT stopping at a Menu first (ahem!Warner).
2) Trailers that you cannot bypass at all in order to get to the Main Menu.
1) Motion Menus that force you to watch some bit of the superfluous animation before you can select something from the menu to begin watching the movie.

...So, some may find my order surprising and/or not agree. But, there is a consistency with my reasoning here: it's about "the more you go out of your way to annoy me ...the more I will be annoyed!" The motion menus that you have to wait for are just "icing on the cake of annoyance". Look, we all know it's unlikely that the studios will entirely stop the practice of trailers before the menu. But, if they're going to make me skip the trailers one-by-one, wait for the idiotic FBI & Legal messages to painfully display forever .... the LAST STRAW is to finally see yourself at the elusive Main Menu just to have to wait yet some more because some disc author thought some funky dissolve that has nothing to do with the movie 'looks cool' before you can press the button to launch the movie.

And, Warner's former practice of "discs that launch right into the movie" was actually MORE annoying to me than skipping trailers, because it usually started the movie with the lossy DD crap audio tracks. And, even if they did master one or two to start with the HD audio ...it's still lame to have the movie auto-launch when maybe you just wanted to load it, go to the can, and then sit down and start to watch.

I agree with Michael Palmer on the DTS & Dolby intros. Those were very commonly found on DVD, and less-frequently seen on BD (it seems). Those are fun, and add to the "movie-like experience". My favorite was always (and to this day) the DTS "Digital Experience" logo, with the flying CD that whizzes back and forth behind you and back.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 PM

I agree with Tim. The audio codec demos are fine, and so are the studio logos. They prepare you for the movie-watching experience, and help make sure the sound system is up to the task.

But pretty much anything else is obnoxious.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Great read!

Thankfully, for me, I run a sweet HTPC and I rip all my movies into the MKV container. And for each movie, I splice in the studio and the audio codec trailer right into the beginning of the movie. I wouldn't have it any other way!!

I get all my codec/studio trailers from here:

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/hi...n-trailers.php
Old 09-27-2010, 10:57 PM

There's something I don't like about that DTS 7.1 video though.

I know it's just for demo purposes, but I HATE when the speakers are that close. The surrounds are so close you could reach out and knock them over with your arm.

I feel like home theater speakers give you a much more enveloping sound when you're at least 8 feet away from them.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:03 PM

I think the trailers are a pain in the butt, in the worst possible way. It doesn't make me want to go see a movie or see a movie more if I'm already thinking about it. If anything they bias me against a movie, because I'm annoyed by being forced to watch a trailer and in some psychological way that annoyance attaches to a movie. Sometimes when I have friends over, we will just kill the volume on the forced previews and voice over the previews. The dialogue is never flattering of the movie, but makes the forced previews a little less annoying.

I am in favor of cool DTS/Dolby blips. They serve a purpose: they sound cool, quiet people down as a signal the movie is about to start, and give you a few seconds to get comfortable.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 PM

I hate all kinds of trailers, warnings, and studio logos that come at any time. I go so far to skip this loathsome crap that I select the second chapter from the scenes menu and then skip back to the first. This usually avoids a FBI trailer and other pre-movie junk.

I pay my hard earned money for a movie, not a trailer.

Mark
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 PM

Hate forced trailers and crippling "copy protection"

I usually avoid new releases specifically because I never know if it's actually going to work with my player (HTPC running Powerdvd)

About logos, I do find the repetition mildly annoying. Most movies already start with the studio logo, so having 2 sets of logos seems a little silly (even if one is bright CGI and the other isn't)

I quite enjoy trailers in the extra menu (trailers are, after all, generally 2 minutes of demo material. So it's nice to have the option) Hate them before the movie, though. Studios need to learn from Criterion (currently the only people I'll blind-buy from) and go straight to a simple menu, with the movie itself just one click away.