'The Peacemaker' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM

Default 'The Peacemaker' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'The Peacemaker,' and it's ashamed to admit he's a fan. Though he recognizes the cliches that fill this nuclear action thriller, he enjoys the ride, thanks to taut direction, good acting, and a rousing score. Video quality is mediocre, but the audio picks up the slack. Extras are slim. A good rental for genre (and Clooney) fans.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3717/peacemaker.html
Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM

LOVED this movie and was really looking forward to this release. A damned shame they botched the video.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM

It seems the movie companies don't want my money, i have lost count of the number of films i was prepared to buy this year but then read the reviews and noted no effort had gone into the transfer or in some of the cases it appears effort had gone into the transfer but someone decided the scrubbed smooth look would sell more copies. ( not with me matey )

Still i suppose i must thank them as well because they are saving me a small fortune that i would have spent purchasing their movies but is now saved in my bank account.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM

I'm with you Foxy. The crazy thing is, then studios bitch that catalog Blu-ray sales are low when it is entirely their own fault. Why would anybody bother upgrading their DVD to a Blu-ray that is bare-bones and/or has subpar video? These marketing people are morons.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:51 PM

So based on the reviews final comments and the video review, I assume that an upscaled DVD would be prefered watching method for this movie.

Lets say if someone where to give for free the movie to this reviewer, would he thus prefer to watch the BluRay or the upscaled DVD?

Just wondering since I could always ask for this as a gift and not have to spend my money on it and I bet by Christmas this will be a 9.99 deal.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcarbel View Post
So based on the reviews final comments and the video review, I assume that an upscaled DVD would be prefered watching method for this movie.

Lets say if someone where to give for free the movie to this reviewer, would he thus prefer to watch the BluRay or the upscaled DVD?

Just wondering since I could always ask for this as a gift and not have to spend my money on it and I bet by Christmas this will be a 9.99 deal.
The blu ray will almost certainly have more detail than the dvd edition, the disappointment on releases such as this is because they are not delivering the full potential of the movie on the blu ray format with some releases getting sub standard transfers or added procesisng which detracts from the viewing experience especially when viewing on a larger screen.

Blu ray is capable of delivering a film like experience in the home but too many releases are getting additional "processing" applied because the powers that be have done so called market research ( among twentysomethings ) which concludes that some movie watchers want clean, totally smooth video like image quality rather than film based quality, what they forget is that the people who will buy catalog titles are in fact more likely older viewers and people who want the film based quality and will throw up at having a dumbed down ( in detail and looks ) processed movie.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcarbel View Post

It's a step up from the DVD, not a giant leap, but a step up. Like I said in the review, there are portions, like the helicopter scenes, that look really well done, but they are secondary footage without actors in them. To answer your question I'd watch the Blu-ray over the DVD, and yes you're right this will be cheap in a few months, and worth a purchase.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 PM

Ugh, I remember walking out of this movie in the theaters. The worst acting and cliched and obvious action scenes. And it dragged on forever. I only made it up to the first car chase (where they were literally driving in circles; "hello you can drive AWAY from them now")

Just gave up on it. Sorry if I'm shitting on this movie. Sad to hear that it got a bad transfer for you guys.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:16 PM

I don't care what anyone says too. I loved this movie.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:47 PM

I. too. liked this movie enough to purchase it but after this review I also will be waiting for that most likely soon to be $9.99 price (probably by Christmas).