'Breathless' (1959) - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-23-2010, 12:49 AM

Default 'Breathless' (1959) - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed the classic and influential 'Breathless,' directed by Jean-Luc Godard. This is a masterwork, plain and simple. This Criterion release features excellent video, good audio, and all the informative extras that graced the previous DVD. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3590/breathless.html
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM

watched this the other night, and it left me simply breathless.
Anyone with the slightest interest in the history of cinema should pick this up asap.
this film, perhaps more than any other, represents the birth of modern film, and this bd looks amazing and is beyond essential.
it simply doesn't get any more "classic" than this blu-ray.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:29 PM

ehhhhhhhhhh.....i've been loving Classic Cinema and all of cinema lately but Godard, along with Robert Altman, are pretty much the only two considered to be great filmmakers that i'm not really a fan of.

i LIKED Breathless but got extremely annoyed with it like i do with just about the rest if Godard's work. also, i found the middleish portion to be painstakingly boring, and put me in the exact opposite cinematic situation of being "out of breath". i watched it twice and really, don't ever want to see it again. i did however land on this decision after internally debating back and forth many times from viewing #2 till now.

if you're a big fan though, enjoy the shit out of it!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:35 PM

once you learn more about why it's considered the birth of modern cinema I think you'll appreciate it more.
watch the docs; listen to the commentary; read the included essays--they will all contribute to a better appreciation of Godard's genius.
with many art-house films you really have to go way beyond just the "plot" of the film to really understand why they are considered such masterworks.
Godard with this one film exploded much of what had come before as far as what constituted a "movie".
you're a student of film--
go behind the scenes and you'll get to the genius at the core.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 PM

yeah, i've done that with several films from several different influential and/or important filmmakers and i really just can't wrap any kind of personal love around this movie. i appreciate it's jump cut editing and all but when the credits roll, the only real thing i feel is annoyance.

i might take it out one more time from the library and watch the extras but i can't see myself doing anymore than that. stranger things have happened though.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:42 PM

I'd say wait until you've learned some more about the history of the medium and about the "New Wave" in particular and revisit it.
you'll get it eventually.
btw: you don't have to "love" a film to get meaning from the appreciation of it's genius and influence.
don't worry about liking it--just try to understand it.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I'd say wait until you've learned some more about the history of the medium and about the "New Wave" in particular and revisit it.
you'll get it eventually.
btw: you don't have to "love" a film to get meaning from the appreciation of it's genius and influence.
don't worry about liking it--just try to understand it.
no i know what you mean. i understood a good amount of it and appreciate it for what it is but overall, i don't like the movie enough to want to see it again. i feel that way about Alphaville, The 400 Blows, and the works of Jean-Pierre Melville, but not Breathless.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM

I hear ya.
I've been struggling with "M" myself.
I like some parts of it, but that long sequence with the two meetings taking place at the same time just kills me every time.
Spoken German really drives me crazy after a while, and I can only watch that film in segments.
I honestly don't see how anyone can make it through it in a single viewing.
thank god there are many more French art-house films I'm interested in.
so much nicer to listen to than German.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I hear ya.
I've been struggling with "M" myself.
I like some parts of it, but that long sequence with the two meetings taking place at the same time just kills me every time.
Spoken German really drives me crazy after a while, and I can only watch that film in segments.
I honestly don't see how anyone can make it through it in a single viewing.
thank god there are many more French art-house films I'm interested in.
so much nicer to listen to than German.
haha wow i LOVE M and have seen it twice, both viewings in one sitting, in the last year and of course, i love the two meetings in one sequence but that's just me.

do you justr hate the sound of German?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM

it just sounds so harsh to me.
it like grates on my nerves after like 30 minutes or so, and I worry about getting a migraine.
I love how it's just you and me in this thread.
sad.