'The Kids Are All Right' is coming November 16 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Default 'The Kids Are All Right' is coming November 16

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4043...eallright.html
Old 09-14-2010, 08:07 PM

I was so excited to see this movie and when I saw it, I left the theater plain out pissed. It was nothing new, it was going good until the last half an hour. I was like wtf is this bullshit. The characters were all unlikable and the only character you felt a connection with (Ruffalo) is treated like shit and it's all feministic bullshit at the end and makes men seem like assholes, actually it's like I'm awesome because I'm lesbian ending and I wasn't surprised to find out the director herself was a lesbian. Basically the whole movie is contrived and overrated. I was so pissed off. Not even one of the year's best.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 PM

I thought it was great but I agree with the above poster in that:
Spoiler
...the writer and/or director completely miscalculated how the audience would feel about Ruffalo. He was no more flawed than any of the characters yet they treat him like dogshit with the way they handle his story at the end (and by consequently providing no resolution to his story). My fiance and I were both really bothered with the way they hung him out to dry.

That said, it was totally not a dealbreaker for it was a great movie. Hilarious in many parts and quite well-acted. It doesn't really surprise me that a movie about a lesbian couple touts feminism, so you should have been prepared for that going in, Idioteque.

It's in my top 5 movies of the year but there are quite a few very promising movies coming out these last few months (The Social Network, True Grit, 127 Hours, Harry Potter, etc.) that could knock it out of even the top 10.

Last edited by dmarvin; 09-14-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 PM

^^I liked how the film didn't treat the same-sex couple and family as a gimmick or spectacle. They are depicted as a very real, normal, and loving family. I also thought the performances were all very good across the board (particularly Ruffalo and Benning). That being said, Idioteque is right on the handling of Ruffalo's character. It's too rushed and simple-minded and almost ruins how delicately all the relationships were handled prior to the conclusion of the film. It feels like the director (being a lesbian herself) just couldn't resist and had to drive her pro-lesbian point home at the expense of Ruffalo's character.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
I thought it was great but I agree with the above poster in that:
Spoiler
...the writer and/or director completely miscalculated how the audience would feel about Ruffalo. He was no more flawed than any of the characters yet they treat him like dogshit with the way they handle his story at the end (and by consequently providing no resolution to his story). My fiance and I were both really bothered with the way they hung him out to dry.

That said, it was totally not a dealbreaker for it was a great movie. Hilarious in many parts and quite well-acted. It doesn't really surprise me that a movie about a lesbian couple touts feminism, so you should have been prepared for that going in, Idioteque.

It's in my top 5 movies of the year but there are quite a few very promising movies coming out these last few months (The Social Network, True Grit, 127 Hours, Harry Potter, etc.) that could knock it out of even the top 10.
I expected that it would be different from most movies because of the positive buzz but the last half hour is crap. I can't even bring myself to respect the movie to end it on that note. It was like everyone fights and forgives and then the Mark Ruffalo story felt like it was going for somewhere only to fall flat. And I thought the fights with everyone would go further than a simple "fuck you" to each character. I guess if you want to end a relationship with a person, tell him "fuck you" and they'll never appear in your lives again.

And I thought the humor was okay but at the end of the day film comes off being very generic and not even original in the slightest bit and it's hugely predictable, I was hoping that there would be a twist but nope. There' just so much wrong with the film's script that I can't respect the director and hell I hate her pro lesbian feministic views as well that she had to squeeze in. I mean yeah some of you guys are a bit more forgiving then me but I expected a lot, it's nothing special. I've seen tons of great flicks and thsi isn't one of them. The other indie hit of the summer, Cyrus, was a pleasant surprise. It's pretty amateur but it's hilarious and the story doesn't do any cheats on us like Kids Are Alright.