'The World at War' is coming November 16 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Default 'The World at War' is coming November 16

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3995/world_war.html
Old 09-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Former Member

a huge, huge want, but WTF @ the MSRP. it's over 100 bucks on amazon. 26 1 hour shows. we get that on MANY tv releases for way less than that. hell, amazon had 5 seasons (which is probably close to 4.5x content by runtime) of lost on sale once for less than the current 'zon price. i think they're pricing themselves out of reason here.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

$150 seems like a fairly average SRP for a release of that magnitude. What really sucks is the ostensible cropping for the change in aspect ratio.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 PM

it will be half off within 6 months.
just wait and see.
I've always wanted to see this documentary and will get this when it is 50% off or more.
but I'm really pissed about the OAR change from 4:3 to 16:9.
just sickening.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:42 PM

Cannot say I was impressed with the first WW2 BD documentary, it looked like they just upscaled the video conversion rather then went back to the film source.

Now imagine that cropped for 16:9.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:18 PM

I really hope the reviewer backlash is harsh due to the cropping of the film, it's absolutely shocking they have done this.

You can see a mini doc on the restoration here, where you can see them remaster it in OAR 4:3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWgwd...eature=channel

-and watch various clips on their channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRXKG...eature=channel
which feel really cropped, lots of people's heads chopped off etc.

Also only sound option is the new 5.1 remix of the old mono track. Even though they remastered the original mono prior to remixing it isn't included.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:26 AM

Default Get the SD version

I recently purchased the SD version of this series for about 33 bucks. I have to say the video quality was quite good for SD and the price was great. I don't plan to upgrade and the aspect ratio on the SD is 4:3.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM

No buy for me. I will not support restorations that use pan & scan to crop the original image simply so it can fill up the whole screen on a widescreen tv.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:56 PM

I just got it on DVD, when it was on sale on Amazon.

There are something that's not worth the upgrade. Great documentary, but after seeing this clip from the restoration, I don't think it's an upgrade at all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRXKG...eature=channel

Just look at the colors, totally wrong on the after shots. The skins are really pink. It seems they have used the contrast option way too much.

And chopping of to fit to 16:9 is just an horrible desicion. They literally chop off pieces of history.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spader View Post
I really hope the reviewer backlash is harsh due to the cropping of the film, it's absolutely shocking they have done this.

You can see a mini doc on the restoration here, where you can see them remaster it in OAR 4:3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWgwd...eature=channel
Ugh! The before and after is a joke. I am unsure what the before is (old DVD?) but the after is of questionable improvement due to the big brightness boost with the color shots being hardest hit and looking really flat. And to think it brags about color grading? Go back to video school buddy.